Monday, August 8, 2016

2016 Western Trip – Days 13-14 – Evergreen & Grand Junction

I ordered this great telescoping ladder - Ollieroo® 12.5ft EN131 AluminumTelescopic Extension Ladder – from Amazon which looks like the perfect ladder for RVers.


During the dinner at our coach, I mentioned I planned to use it to repair the trim on Sweetie.  Heather overheard this and nearly insisted on doing the job for me – I know she was concerned about a fat old man being on a 12’ ladder – so she came over on Monday morning to make it happen.


She did a great job and I’m sure it is there to stay – thanks again Heather.

After the repairs to Sweetie, we decided to spend our final day in Denver with a short drive up into the foothills of the Rockies.  We left the campground to 91F temps and first came to the small town of Morrison which seemed to be very busy for a Monday afternoon.  From there we drove up the canyon past some magnificent homes to Evergreen and upon arriving noticed the temp was now 81F and it definitely felt much better outside – the shopping area was also very busy.  We drove over to the Nature Center located on Evergreen Lake and got these shots.



Next we drove up the Upper Bear Creek Road and past more awesome creek-side homes and I got a few shots - you know they are special when the homes are named, such as “Rippling Waters.”  Many were located right on the pretty creek and there were many more but not always able to get a shot.





You couldn’t pay me enough to live in the Denver area, but Evergreen is the kind of Colorado living I could take to - small town, beautiful scenery, and cooler temps.  Bev and Pat both proclaimed that a shopping trip to Morrison and Evergreen was a must for our next visit.

The next day, we departed the Denver area and made the 250 mile trip over to Grand Junction crossing the passes at Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail after which the fuel gauge moved very little as it was downhill.  We drove through the beautiful Glenwood Canyon and once again saw the east bound Amtrak train slogging it up the river bank.  I’m not sure where Colorado is spending their highway funds, but it is not on the I-70 road surface as it was not very good and we drove nearly the entire length of it in the state – they need to take a lesson from Kansas.

We arrived mid-afternoon to the KOA and got settled into site C-9 (a large satellite friendly pull through).  We thought it was a pretty nice place when we stayed there last year but the improvements are continuing with the addition of patios and grass.





The power and water pressure are good and since we're sitting beside the wi-fi tower, it's the best signal I've had and was reasonably fast until they got pretty full - they do have plenty of towers around the campground.  I would definitely stay here again.  We will be in Grand Junction for seven full days and looking forward to exploring the area.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

8/1 & 8/2/16 event dates

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like another nice area we hope to head that way this fall, but not stopping much along the way. Enjoy your time there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided most of the state's aren't using highway funds on highways. Have fun and relax. I'm sure the girls will fit in some shopping time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat ---to have willing helpers along the way!!!!! You and Bev have made life-long friends all across the country... We have also ---and it's just so much fun to travel and talk to and meet people.... We find some of the BEST people in the world when we travel and meet strangers....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evergreen Lake looks beautiful. I was just in the Denver area this weekend visiting my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, Great bunch of photos! Love the creek and those beautiful homes... Your RV park looks pretty upscale and very livable. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you drove up to Evergreen. It's a beautiful place. Love that area around Evergreen Lake. And I always enjoy that drive to Upper Bear Creek.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice that Evergreen was not only beautiful but much cooler. That looks like a nice campground.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That patio and little green spot of your own make it look like a home away from home; no wonder you keep coming back! The collapsing ladder is nifty; I might just have to look into one for myself. My slaters rebuilt a dormer on the back side of the house last week, and didn't take down their ladder, so I scampered up the ladder to paint the raw wood. Hubby was less than amused, but I pointed out to him that since he's much bigger than I am, he could steady the ladder better than I would for him. It was great of Heather to come help you out! Glad your trip is going so wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've stayed at that KOA years ago! If you pass that way again - stop at Glenwood Springs and jump in the hot springs pool! What an interesting place :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments