Monday, December 20, 2010

Using Up The Pastrami

We had a piece of homemade pastrami in the fridge from my last BBQ day and I decided to do a little experimenting for breakfast – I’d hate to miss out on an all-star creation.

For experiment one, I cut off a few slices of pastrami and heated them in a skillet with a little olive oil and water. In the meantime, I sliced a piece of homemade bread and a couple pieces of smoked gouda cheese. When the pastrami was warm, I laid it on the bread, topped with the cheese, and put it in the toaster oven on the toast cycle.

I added a couple of natures finest to the skillet and they were done just as the cheese was melted and here’s the result. I had a little difficulty with the eggs as I didn’t use the non-stick skillet.

For experiment two, I first sliced off enoughh of the pastrami for a nice sandwich and diced the remainder for hash.  I love hash made from corned beef or brisket and since pastrami is the same cut of meat with different spices, I thought why not.  I'd parboiled a couple of potatoes the day before and diced then along with some onion and satueed the mix in a little olive oil.  I topped with a couple of over-easy eggs (one of which I broke), shredded gruyere cheese and chopped green onion.

I thought it good, as was the first dish, but a distant third behind corned beef and brisket for this application.  I'm glad I gave them a try, but I think pastrami really needs mustard and rye bread, so I'll stick with grilled pastrami sandwiches when I want it for breakfast - this was a frequent day-starter back in our skiing days.

Someone recently commented on here that I’d eat anything if it were topped with an egg and all I can say is the truth is more like “I’d eat almost anything if it were covered with an egg, cheese, or good dark chocolate.”

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

7 comments:

  1. pastrami is one of those things that I crave at LEAST once a month! Love these uses for your homemade meat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Number 2 gets my vote. Those eggs look pretty good for not using a non-stick. I rarely eat pastrami, but do agree about the mustard and rye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for number 1...but that's just me!!
    LOL I'm with you on the anything covered in good dark chocolate!! mmmmmm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, I wanted to be sure and stop by and say Merry Christmas to you and Bev! and may the New Year be joyous and filled with much good health and happiness. See you next year. ;)

    PS: from Almost Heaven northwest.;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would eat anything topped with an egg!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larry, I liked your first experiment best... You have started my creative juices going! I think that I'd try baby swiss cheese in place of the Smoked Gouda. I might also try heating the pastrami in a fry pan with a little grapeseed oil, crisping it a little bit. I'm with Pam...almost anything is good with a fried egg on it! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been making me crave pastrami. I think I'll smoke one up after the first of the year.

    I've had a problem with yolks breaking lately.....I'm blaming growth hormones or something, it can't be my fault (ha ha).

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments