Thursday, December 23, 2010

Steak And Gravy Ala Mary - Sorta

I just love this dish and can’t remember the last time we had it, except it’s been way too long. When Mary over at Deep South Dish posted her recipe on Dec. 12, I book marked it to make soon, and when the piece of London broil was left from our fajita meal the other night, I knew it was meant to be. The main difference between her recipe and our normal is the addition of caramelized onions. Check out Mary’s site for the full recipe.

The first thing we did was prep the meat, by pounding with a meat mallet to the thickness we wanted.

Then using a jaccard in both directions on both sides for additional tenderizing.

If you’re not familiar with the jaccard, it’s a bunch of sharp little swords that penetrate the meat to cut the connective tissue, while also acting as a mallet as it does. The swords are spring loaded and come out when the meat is hit with device, then they pop back in. It’s a dandy tool for tenderizing all types of meat.

We did the onions and garlic per Mary's recipe, but added about 8oz of sliced mushrooms to the sauté process. We also decided to cook it in the oven in polish pottery, as we made it up early in the afternoon for cooking later and it cleans up easily. Beverly was planning to cook some carrots and we decided to just toss them in with the meat. Here it is ready for the oven where it was covered with foil and cooked at 325* for 1 ½ hours.

Here’s my plate, sided with some mashed potatoes of course, and all I can say is this is serious comfort food and it was delicious.

A dandy comfort food meal for a cold day – thanks for the recipe Mary.


Bev had bought the ingredients the other day and wanted to make up some Merry Mojito’s per Sandra Lee’s recipe, so we had one for an after dinner drink. She used a little extra sugar and added a little cranberry juice for more color - the pink glass helps as well. She then added 1 ½ ounce of brandy (she meant to add rum but picked up the wrong bottle) to each glass and it was an excellent after dinner drink.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

10 comments:

  1. I saw that steak recipe over at Mary's and have also moved it to my "must make" file. Never heard of a jaccard...looks like a wicked little tool. Love the Merry Mojitos! Merry Christmas Bev and Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perfect comfort food indeed! It looks and sounds delicious!
    I have a jaccard..I saw Alton Brown use it once and I immediately went out and bought one...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother used to make a similar dish that she called Swiss steaks. This will be on the menu right after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of a jaccard. Keep your fingers clear! :-) Your dish looks like one that my mom made many years ago. You are right...it is serious comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect meal, Larry. This really sounds delicious. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter just saw the last shot with the full plate and asked if I would please make this. It looks comforting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pink drink is most festive! And that is a perfect cold weather dinner, indeed.

    Merry Christmas, Larry and Bev!

    Marjie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Larry,
    Wanted to stop by and say Merry Christmas!!
    As usual I look forward to seeing what's in store for good eats at Almost Heaven South.
    Have a safe and happy New Year as well.
    -Bushman

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to get one of those jaccards but if I had the $$$$ I'd much rather have a commercial meat cuber like the ones we used in the meat markets when I worked at the grocery store. Those things rocked!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Larry! Thanks for the linky love! I'll take on of those Merry Mojitos please. I love that Sandra Lee does cocktails for her show. You could probably find something for everywhere at her FN links.

    Hope you and Bev have a wonderful Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments