Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sausage, Mushroom & Spinach Quiche

The real chef in the family decided we hadn’t had quiche in a while and she needed to whip one up. She knew she wanted sausage, mushrooms and cheese in it and there was some spinach in the fridge that needed to be used, so this is what she came up with - the amounts as close as she could estimate after the fact.
  • 1 Deep frozen pie crust
  • ½ lb Breakfast sausage (we like Swaggerty’s from Kodak, TN – near Sevierville)
  • 6 Fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • ½ Onion, diced
  • ½ Sweet pepper, diced
  • 3 Hand fulls of fresh spinach
  • 1 Clove garlic, fine mince
  • Olive oil as needed for sauteing
  • 5 eggs
  • ½ cup Heavy cream
  • A couple of shakes of Tiger Seasoning
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 cup or so of Shredded cheese – a mix of smoked gouda, cheddar, asiago, pepper jack ( I had to laugh that she used all four of these cheeses – just use your favorites and put in a cup or so).

 Her objective was to make a good meal rather than create a recipe and it’s the kind of dish that exact amount aren’t necessary, so just add and subtract as you see fit

Brown the sausage in a medium skillet and remove to a plate with paper towels to drain. Then add olive oil to the skillet, if needed, and onion, pepper, and mushrooms and sauté until softened, remove and mix with the sausage. Bev did this the day before, so she allowed the mixture to cool and stored in the fridge. The next day, she set it out to warm up while she prepped the other ingredients.

The next morning she added a little olive oil to the skillet along with the garlic and spinach and cooked until the spinach had wilted and given up much of it’s moisture. (Had she thought about using the spinach a day earlier, she would have cooked it with the onions, peppers and mushrooms). Allow this to cool before mixing with the eggs.

Preheat the oven to 350* and cook the crust for about 5 minutes and allow it to cool.

Beat the eggs and cream until well combined and mix in the other ingredients. Fill the piecrust and cook in the 350* oven for about 25 minutes or until it has set in the middle.

She served it with a slice of date nut bread.   I don't think my parsley addition helped much.


It made enough to fill the pie crust and a 4”x6” oval ramekin, and it was delicious. I love it when the chef decides to create something.

I got my annual dose of watching "White Christmas" last night and I only wish I could erase my memory of it so it would be new each year.  I miss the America that thought this was a great movie.

Have a great day and thanks for visiting Almost Heaven South.

Larry

8 comments:

  1. I miss that same America too Larry. I grew up in an Ozzie and Harriet, Leave it to Beaver, and Father Knows Best world. Those were the days....

    However, no one ate quiche then.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fab! And I think you are quite the chef, also!

    I still haven't watched "It's a Wonderful Life" yet, it's just not Christmas without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum..yum...yum! I've been seeing alot of quiche's lately and have been wanting to make one. ok, so don't hate me, I'm going to comment on that sprig of parsley...it's more like a bush of parsley. Just a little big. :-) I love Sam's comment. I grew up in Ozzie and Harriet land and yes, no quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't made quiche in awhile. You've reminded me how good it is. You've combined my favorite ingredients in this one, Larry.

    We live in an angry world right now and need the spirit of Christmas in our homes. I always look forward to It's A Wonderful Life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how easy quiches are. You can throw any ingredients in them and they taste delicious! Although, in my opinion, sausage is ALWAYS required.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kind of pie! My Zucchini plants have just started producing zukes so I can take some together with 2 buttercrunch lettuces up to my folks on Wednesday.

    I'm so excited to be able to give my dear parents my home grown vege for a feed or two!

    ReplyDelete
  7. But 4 cheeses make it special! That's the trend these days - 3 cheese spinach soup, 4 cheese potato gratin, etc.

    We cook like this too sometimes, just trying to use up what we have. I hate when the fridge is full of containers with a pinch of this or two tablespoons of that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That quiche looks really delicious. What a great breakfast, Larry - Bev takes very good care of you. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments