I’m on an eggnog roll and as I said yesterday not a big fan of the commercial stuff, but I love this homemade version of the holiday classic as was made by my former wife. It’s the drink for eggnog fans and even those who aren’t big lovers of it. Of course, your favorite libation can be added to provide the nog – as my parents used to say.
Makes about a quart
½ cup Sugar
3 ea Eggs, separated
2 cups Milk, chilled
¼ tsp Cinnamon
1 cup Light cream(or half and half), chilled
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
1. Combine sugar, allspice, cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg.
2. In large bowl of electric mixer, at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
3. Gradually beat in half of sugar mixture until stiff peaks form.
4. In small bowl, beat egg yolks until lemon-colored. Gradually beat in remaining sugar mixture until thick and smooth.
5. Thoroughly fold into whites. Stir in milk and cream; mix well.
6. Serve well chilled, each serving sprinkled with nutmeg.
I usually quadrupled the recipe and made it the night before and let the foam settle from the beaten egg whites. Most people like it that way better.
Go ahead and make you up a quart to try it, but make sure you have enough ingredients on hand to make more.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.