Sunday, December 19, 2010

Homemade Eggnog

I’m on an eggnog roll and as I said yesterday not a big fan of the commercial stuff, but I love this homemade version of the holiday classic as was made by my former wife. It’s the drink for eggnog fans and even those who aren’t big lovers of it. Of course, your favorite libation can be added to provide the nog – as my parents used to say.

SPICY EGGNOG
Beanie Rankin
Makes about a quart

Ingredients
½ cup Sugar
3 ea Eggs, separated
Dash Allspice
2 cups Milk, chilled
¼ tsp Cinnamon
1 cup Light cream(or half and half), chilled
1/8 tsp Nutmeg

Process
1. Combine sugar, allspice, cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg.
2. In large bowl of electric mixer, at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
3. Gradually beat in half of sugar mixture until stiff peaks form.
4. In small bowl, beat egg yolks until lemon-colored. Gradually beat in remaining sugar mixture until thick and smooth.
5. Thoroughly fold into whites. Stir in milk and cream; mix well.
6. Serve well chilled, each serving sprinkled with nutmeg.
 I usually quadrupled the recipe and made it the night before and let the foam settle from the beaten egg whites. Most people like it that way better.

Go ahead and make you up a quart to try it, but make sure you have enough ingredients on hand to make more.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

13 comments:

  1. I don't like the commercial stuff either Larry. One time I thought I would buy the low-cal version at the store. You would not believe how many ingredients are in it that I couldn't even pronounce. No way was I going to drink that.

    Yours sounds wonderful, especially with the nutmeg. We like a dash of bourbon in ours. Very southern.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your eggnog sounds wonderful Larry!
    Merry Christmas!
    Mika

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, I'm going to make me up a quart but would like to know how much and what kind of "nog". I'm using the raw egg "thing" as an excuse for adding alcohol. ;-) I see Sam puts bourbon, is it usually Rum? Add it at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Egg nog is such a festive Christmas drink. Your recipe sounds delicious, Larry. I'm not a bourbon fan but love a bit in egg nog. Happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds GREAT! I'm going to make up a batch for Christmas eve... Question... Rum or Bourbon? And if Rum, would spiced (Captain Morgan work)

    Great stuff, thank you for sharing!

    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's the email I sent to Lea Ann when she asked above. "As for the nog, it depends on what alcohol flavor you like, but as far as adding, I'd set out a selection and let each person add it to their glass to the potency they like. I'm not much of a brown liquor or rum drinker, so I'd probably add a little brandy to mine or I'd give Baileys a try, but I think it's whiskey or bourbon for most folks. My parents always drank Seagrams and Old Grand Dad, so I assume that's what they put in theirs. Sample several and see what you like best." After enough sampling, you'll like them all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daughter Wende a.k.a. Little DudeDecember 19, 2010 at 12:25 PM

    Being a veteran of this egg nog recipe, I've had it with a number of "nogs." Captain Morgan's does work nicely; the spices in it don't conflict with what's in there already. Regular rum would work as well, light or dark. Bourbon is the classic fix. It really is just a matter of what flavor you prefer. I'm not much of a bourbon person, so I tend to go with dark rum or Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum. My advice would be to just experiment. It's going to be good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you tell who the experienced drinker on the family might be? Thankd Dude for helping out here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anytime, Daddy. :)

    Oh, and I think Mom uses brandy when she drinks it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. While Alexis loves Eggnog, I am not sure I have ever actually tried it. I can't drink straight milk because of my problem with visualizing the source when I try to drink it. Adding raw egg doesn't help that much, lol.

    But I'm saving this so we can make it for her when it is not the season and you can't buy it anywhere.

    Maybe the alcohol would help my impression, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No commercial eggnog for me either. If you are going to consume that many calories, it better be homemade and worth it. Your eggnog recipe looks really good. I am sure your friends and family are going appreciate it this season.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will try it! I usually put brandy in my eggnog but I am thinking that Captain Morgan would be much more tasty to me!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments