Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Fajita’s From London Broil

I found a nice piece of top round london broil in the freezer the other day and we decided to use part of it for fajitas. It was a little more than an inch thick, so I split it in half so the marinade could penetrate more of it. We decided half would be plenty and put it in the marinade at 8am, with the other half going in to the fridge for something else. By dinner time, neither of us felt like cooking fajitas so it was left in the marinade until the next nights dinner – so it was marinated for 32 hours.

The marinade we used came from Allrecipes and is as follows, with a slight Bev modification:

¼ cup Fresh lime juice
1/3 cup Water
2 tbsp Olive oil
4 cloves Garlic, crushed
2 tsp Soy sauce
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp Liquid smoke
½ tsp Cayenne pepper
½ tsp Black pepper
½ tsp Ground cumin*

Mix everything together and pour over meat in a plastic bag.

*We like the flavor and added cumin believing most Tex-Mex dishes are incomplete without it.

For the meal, Bev whipped up some and guacamole and I cut up some onions to sauté with our julienned frozen peppers.

I used the gas grill for the meat and side burner for the veggies – we’d spent the day, starting at 5:30am, shepherding a friend who had nasal surgery, Bev then came home and made some potato soup and cornbread and took it the 10 miles to her. It was after 7pm, cold and dark when I started cooking, and I didn’t want to fool with the charcoal grill, although I know it would have been better. It was a busy day.

Here's the veggies sauteeing - my grill could stand a good cleaning.

I added nothing else to the meat, beyond the marinade, grilled it to an internal temp of 130*, rested and sliced thinly. After flipping the meat. I gave the tortillas a quick warm up on the grill.

We all sampled the meat and thought the marinade was a definite keeper and the texture was still normal following the long soak.  Here's the building of mine and since we only had large tortillas, it ended up as a burrito.

It's hard to beat a good Tex-Mex meal with delicious meat and fresh accompaniments.  The london broil worked perfect for the dish and I still have another piece the same size for something else - like country steak and gravy, perhaps.

Have a great day and thanks for visiting Almost Heaven South.

Larry

6 comments:

  1. I can't imagine cooking any S.W. or Mexican without cumin..love it. I like this marinade recipe. I'm going cut/paste into my recipe database. The fajitas look wonderful Larry. You know me and Mexican food. A side note, I've trashed Julia's Beef recipe for C.Eve and have decided on Lasagna for the evening. Subliminally your suggestion. A salad, bread and your Egg Nog Brulee, I can't think of a better meal right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fajitas. Such a simple yet amazingly flavorful meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE fajitas! I'll try this marinade next time we grill them. I want them tonight after seeing this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The London Broil looks terrific. I don't know that I could have resisted sampling a great deal of it BEFORE making dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate to admit how much of that meat I would probably eat just while slicing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I agree 100% with you, how can any fajita recipe NOT include cumin? To me that is the signature flavor of a fajita along with lime juice. If it's missing either of those, it's not a fajita to me.

    That is one huge fajita!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments