Saturday, December 12, 2009

Visit To Cumberland Gap

I trust everyone has had plenty of time to salivate over the liver, so it's time to post something new.

My son recently moved to the Cumberland Gap area of East Tennessee and we made our first visit to their place this week. In case you’ve forgotten your history, Cumberland Gap is the saddle gap in the mountains that allowed for easier passage from the Virginia/Tennessee area into Kentucky. Daniel Boone is famous, in part, for development of the Wilderness Road through the gap and leading hundreds of folks to new settlements in Kentucky.

We did a little touring around the area, went by the National Park visitors center, and ate at Webb’s Country Kitchen. This is a place to which I’d been considering making the 2 hour drive just to eat there, but this allowed us to eat there and visit with our kids and grandkids.

Here’s a picture of the main street of Cumberland Gap with the gap upper right– not much in the little town anymore as most of the activity, including Lincoln Memorial University are next door in Harrogate .


And here is Webb’s from the outside and a shot of the ambience of the inside.



Here’s our very country, and excellent, waitress – she was a perfect fit for the place.


This is us, hungry and waiting for the grub. From right to left, it’s my son, wife, daughter-in-law and me.


This is “the Gap” breakfast ($6.79) and it was delicious – especially the homemade sausage gravy and hot, fresh made , flaky biscuit.


This is the after shot. If I'd had another half biscuit they maybe wouldn't have even needed to wash my plate.


And perhaps the most important part of the trip was to visit the grandkids King Matthew and Butterfly Sofia.


A nice visit and I'm looking forward to the next one or meeting them part way at the Cove Lake State park BBQ restaurant

3 comments:

  1. I was just about to shoot you an email making sure you were okay. You'd gone quiet for a few days and I thought you might have the spare rib flu:)

    Looks like a fun time. Alexis and I have taken a few drives up that way on Highway 33. Gorgeous area, I hope to spend a weekend up there eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be a wee bit biased, but your grandkids are devastatingly cute. :) Glad you guys had a good visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol and I especially liked the photo of the plate that was well cleaned.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments