Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Liver & Onions - Everybody’s Favorite

I grew up eating beef liver smothered in sautéed onions and Bev did not – I still like the dish, as most of you probably do, and she absolutely does not. So when I want it, I either order at a restaurant or fix it for myself at home - she won't even fix it for me. Today’s project was freezer reorganization and I discovered several packages that need to be used soon, so I decided to start today.

My mother always prepared liver by dredging it in flour and frying in a skillet, but during one of my restaurant trips, I was served the liver grilled and decided I liked it. I prepared it by just giving it a light coat of Billy Bones Beefmaster BBQ rub and grilling it quickly over high heat on the gas grill. As you can see, I added some cheddar cheese to one piece. I sautéed a sliced medium onion in a little butter and bacon grease.

I had planned to sprinkle on some diced fried bacon before the onions, but it was already gone, so it was just the liver and onions. Here are a few pics that I'm confident even you none liver lovers will enjoy :).



Even had a few small pieces that the dogs really enjoyed.



I liked the BBQ rub on it and think I would like a different cheese, but the cheddar didn't work as well as I'd hoped. While I wouldn't want to eat it every day, I enjoyed my 2-3 times a year meal.

10 comments:

  1. I thought cheddar made everything better! Hm. Maybe something creamier, like provolone. Oh well. Glad you got to enjoy some liver.

    Ok, I have to say it. That looks really gross on the grill. Like two big tongues or something. Nasty. But if you enjoyed it, that's what's important. :) I'll see you this evening for some non-liver beef stew...if I don't get blown away first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you mention it, they do look like tongues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You finally made something that I wouldn't want to eat:) I just can't get over liver, since I was a little kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ewww ~ cain't like me no liver, no! my mama used to try & git me to eat it by spelling it backwards & calling it revil ~ but it tasted just as nasty no mattah how she spelled it. my ol' daddy, him, he loved liver ... so i used to cook it for him once in a while .. bacon-wrapped chicken livers were his favorite. me, i think liver makes great catfish bait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo, liver. Number two on the list of things I can't have because my husband can't stand them, number one being anchovies on pizza. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm pretty much in a minority when it comes to beef liver, which explains some of the tongue-in-cheek wording in my post. Bev also dislikes anchovies, which I like, and she makes me cook the liver outside cause she dislikes the smell of it cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to prefer something like last night's beef stew to beef liver. I have to confess, though, on rare occasion, liver and onions make a fine meal. Maybe sometime when Beverly's out of town, we can stink up the house with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love liver and onions!!! Where's the gravy Larry?? LOL! Those look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hay bigdude, are you gettin' back at us for the *snarky* liver comments by leaving this liver post up for 3 days? huhhh???? lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that was funny. I'm out of town with my camera but not the cable to upload pictures. I'll have something new this afternoon - I'm still laughing

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments