Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Chicken Cacciatore Ala Michele

Today was a dreary rainy day here in East Tennessee and it seemed like a good day to get caught up on some inside chores. I started my to-list by getting the rotary humidifier all cleaned up and ready to go – except after I got it spit-shined, it wouldn’t go – the little motor is likely shot. No problem, just go on line and order another – except the manufacturer doesn’t seem to sell them – crap. Filled the little bin with water anyway to get some benefit while I try to figure out what to do – the best laid plans….

Today was supposed to be soup day, but we moved it back a day to try a recipe from another blog, which we really like doing. As we were discussing dinner the other day, Bev suggested something with chicken and the sweet peppers we still need to use. I checked my meals-to-try-someday-list and found the chicken cacciatore recipe from Michele over at myitaliangrandmother, for Nov 17. We had all but a few ingredients and were headed to town anyway, so it sounded like a plan. I’ve heard of this dish my entire life but can’t remember ever eating it – how could I not like it, it’s chicken and marinara sauce.

I used boneless, skinless breasts since we had them in the freezer, home grown and canned tomatoes, and our own peppers and garlic. I used an extra pepper as the red one was small and the orange ones are thinner fleshed – can’t have too many peppers. Otherwise, I just followed her recipe below.

"Ingredients:

1 chicken cut up and cleaned and pat dry
2 red bell peppers, sliced into one inch strips
1 package of mushrooms, sliced
½ cup red wine vinegar or dry white wine
1- 28 ounce can crushed Tomatoes
¼ cup parmesan cheese
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cubes Dorat frozen basil or a handful fresh leaves
Italian seasoning, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
oil, for frying

Directions:

In a wide shallow pan such as a chicken fryer, brown chicken in oil, set aside. Add onion, garlic, peppers and mushrooms and let cook until onion is translucent. Deglaze the pan with vinegar scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon. When reduced add basil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, then and tomatoes, stir. If sauce is too thick, add water to thin in out. Add cheese. Let cook until chicken is tender, about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Serve with pasta, potatoes, rice or polenta."

Here's the peppers, onion, garlic


Most of the ingredients shown here.


The chicken browning in olive oil.


The veggies right after addition of the basil and Italian herbs.


The sauce ready for chicken.


The complete dish ready to cook for awile.


The finished dish.


We sided it with orzo and brussel sprouts. I’ve tried several brussel sprouts recipes from varies blogs, but we prefer our old standby, which is to steam a pound of sprouts until tender, then toss them in a pan with a couple tablespoons of butter, ¼ lemon worth of juice and a clove or two of garlic. Unlike many folks, I really like these little fellers and this is the best way I’ve ever had them. Here they are getting tossed – gives me a chance to practice that little skillet toss thing they do on TV.


Here’s a pic of my plate.


I loved the meal and will definitely make it again, except next time I’ll use chicken thighs as the breasts got too dry during the long braising process.

Have a great day and I enjoy your comments

3 comments:

  1. Darn my sick body! Aside from the brussel sprouts, that looks like a fantastic dinner. And I think it could be interesting in a tortilla later on. :) Stay dry down there! I'm going to just continue sipping my hot tea. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank you so VERY much for trying out my recipe and linking back to me! If you want to use breasts again I would suggest using bone in breasts. The meat will stay moister but for the best results dark meat is the way to go. I tried brussels sprouts for the first time on Thanksgiving and I liked them. I think i'll need to eat them a few more times before I love them but the possibility is there.

    Thanks again Dude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking plate, Larry! And yeah, "dreary", that describes the day perfectly. At least we're not up on the mountains with the hurricane force winds they are getting!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments