Thursday, August 6, 2026

Grilled Pork and Grilled Romaine Caesar Salad And Computer Help Needed

Let’s talk about the computer first which is an HP Laptop.  Some of you have commented that my blog posts used to auto fill some info for you and it also auto filled your info when I commented on your posts or when I did banking – it would show my log-in ID.  Obviously I have hit a wrong button at some point so if you have any suggestions for a fix, I’d love to hear them.

When chef Dennis posted his recipe for Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad a couple of months ago, it reminded me that we haven’t had grilled romaine in a while so I decided to make a modified version of his salad by halving romaine hearts, grilling them then topping with Caesar dressing, grilled chicken pieces and croutons.  Except I had no chicken so I went with the other white meat having found three nice pork chops in the freezer.

Pork Chops

I had no real recipe for the chops but I seasoned them with S&P, Tiger Seasoning, and a little Italian herb mix then gave them the Jaccard treatment to tenderize and flatten some.  Before grilling, I sprayed them with olive oil.  See last paragraph.

I cooked them to an internal temp of 150F and let them rest for five minutes before cutting them into bite sized pieces.

Grilled Romaine

For the romaine hearts, when ready to go on the grill, I removed them from the fridge and cut two of them lengthwise to get four servings.  I seasoned the cut side with S&P and sprayed both sides with olive oil and grilled the uncut side for about a minute over high heat then the uncut side until I had grill marks without actually cooking the romaine.


Caesar Dressing

On Dennis’ Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad post, he included a link for his Caesar Dressing which I made by his recipe below (sorta).

Ingredients:

¾ cup mayonnaise

¼ cup olive oil

1½ tbsp garlic minced

1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1 tbsp Dijon mustard

1½ tsp anchovy paste or whole anchovies mashed

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

¼ cup Romano cheese or Parmesan cheese

½ teaspoon sea salt

½ teaspoon black pepper

Instructions:

Add the mayonnaise, garlic, anchovy paste, lemon juice, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Romano cheese, sea salt, and black pepper to a large mixing bowl or container.

Use an immersion blender or whisk to mix the ingredients.

Continue to blend the creamy mixture and slowly pour the olive oil into the container while continuing to mix.

For best results, allow it to rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

Assembly

Add a piece of romaine to a plate and brush on the desired amount of dressing (it was pretty thick and pretty powerful so it only took a little).  

Add the desired amount of pork and croutons, shred on a little parmesan and dig in.


The Verdict:

Bev and Pat ate theirs with un-grilled romaine and a different dressing.  But for Cindy and I, as expected, it was very good but, as usual lately, I made a recipe mistake by misreading.  As I said above, the Caesar dressing was very powerful and it’s because I used 1½ tbsp of anchovies rather than the 1½ tsp called for in the recipe.  I like to taste the anchovies in this dressing but this was even too much for me – I’ll still try to use it though in small doses.  This was Cindy's first experience with the grilled romaine and the pork worked just fine and got high marks from everyone.

We have used a variety methods and containers for dispensing oils when cooking but Bev recently bought some that we really like as they both pour and spray and the oil doesn't drip down the sides.  I used the spray feature for both the chops and the romaine.  They are YARRAMATE 16 oz 2-in-1 Glass Olive Oil Sprayers available on Amazon for $8.99.



Photos can be slightly enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

8/2/26 event date

3 comments:

  1. You've reminded me that I haven't had a grilled romaine salad in awhile. So good. I had an olive oil sprayer a long time ago that simply didn't work well. Thanks for this recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious meal, even if the dressing had a bit too much anchovies. I like the idea of the oil dispenser! I'll be on the lookout for one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ordered my oil dispenser. I'm learning how to use olive oil. Cooking is definitely out of my comfort zone but so far the kids are loving what I've made.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments