Monday, August 10, 2026

Greek Shrimp with Tomatoes And White Beans

I discovered some shrimp in the freezer that needed to be used and decided I wanted to make something simple and friendly to my diet from them.  There was a bag 16-20 size that I had previously cleaned and frozen in water and a small bag of Alaskan Spot Prawns that had to be cleaned giving me a pound of a cleaned mix of the two.  To make the meal even more protein rich, I opted to add some white beans to the dish.  So, I looked around the web and found several recipes that included the beans or to which they could be added.  I settled on the recipe for Greek Shrimp with Tomatoes from the “Spicy Southern Kitchen” blog to which I added the beans.


Greek Shrimp with Tomatoes And White BeansAdapted from Spicy Southern Kitchen

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 medium yellow onion, diced

2 garlic cloves, minced

½ teaspoon red pepper flakes – we each added our own to taste

15 oz can great northern beans, drained and rinsed

14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)

1 tablespoon tomato paste

½ teaspoon sugar – I don’t add sugar to tomatoes

½ teaspoon dried oregano

1 tablespoon heavy cream

1 pound cleaned medium to large fresh shrimp

salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoons chopped 1/3 cup halved kalamata olives

Crumbled feta cheese to taste

Instructions:

Heat olive oil in a medium pan. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.

Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.

Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, beans, oregano, olives, and heavy cream. Simmer for about 3 minutes.


Add shrimp and S&P to taste. Cook until shrimp are pink and done to your liking.


Add to a dish, sprinkle feta cheese on top, and serve.


The Verdict:

We all thought it was very good and it was healthy, low-cal, and Mediterranean - I’ve known for a long time that people who eat a Mediterranean diet are some of the earths longest living people and this dish really fit the bill.  As an added bonus, it was a one pot meal.

Photos can be slightly enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

8/4/26 event date


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate and enjoy your comments