Tuesday, November 21, 2023

How To Make The Best Scrambled Eggs


Using the scrambling technique (same as this recipe) shown to me by my grandmother, I’ve always considered my eggs to be very good and the grandkids have always requested them.  So when Jenn put up her post on How To Make The Best Scrambled Eggs
on her “Once Upon A Chef” blog, I knew I had to try it.  Her recipe is for six eggs but I was only cooking two so I revised the recipe as shown below plus I omitted the dill and chives so I could compare these to mine.  To get the original along with pics, click on the above link.


The Best Scrambled EggsAdapted from Once Upon A Chef

The Ingredients:

1 tablespoon milk

2/3 teaspoons cornstarch

2 eggs (jumbo for me)

S&P to taste

¼ teaspoon dried dill (optional)

1 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh chives (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Combine the milk and cornstarch in a medium bowl and whisk until the cornstarch is completely dissolved and no lumps remain.

2. Add the eggs, salt, and dill (if using) and whisk until evenly combined.

3. In a medium nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.

4. When the butter starts to bubble, add the egg mixture and let it set around the edges, about 30 seconds.

5. Using a rubber spatula, pull the edges inward, letting the runny eggs spill toward the edges of the pan. Let cook 30 seconds more, then pull the set edges to the center again.

6. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the eggs look soft and slightly undercooked, 60 to 90 seconds more (they will continue to cook, so best not to wait until they are fully cooked to take them off the heat).

7. Remove from the heat, plate, and sprinkle the chives over the top (if using) and serve.

The Verdict:

They were very good as expected but I cooked them over low heat so I could do other things (cook the meat, make toast, etc.) without the eggs over cooking.  The higher heat method will work fine but all attention must be given to the eggs.  I’m not sure what the corn starch does but I use dairy as well in mine and will stick with it.

My method for getting one serving of soft, creamy eggs is.

1. Add eggs, 1T. cream and S&P to a bowl.

2. Beat them well to get air into them.

3. Add about a tsp of butter to the non-stick pan over med-low heat.

4. Add the eggs to the pan.

5. Push the edges to the middle and tilt the pan so the uncooked egg runs onto the pan surface.  I often add shredded cheese, meat, or vegetables (eg. asparagus) at this point.

6. When all is done but the top, give them a quick flip and slide onto a plate.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

11/12/23 meal date

5 comments:

  1. Your method is my method. Except I sub sour cream if I have it (just something I did one day when I didn't have cream) . I've never heard of using cornstarch. I'll never forget when Bev and I were talking and she told me it was her opinion that restaurants over-cook scrambled eggs, which makes the texture tough. Since that time I've always paid more attention while cooking them and make sure I undercook a bit. She's absolutely right about what a difference it makes. And I also agree that scrambled eggs shouldn't be cooked in anything but butter.. Same goes for an omelette. Our conversation was before I attended Culinary School. Once I started school, we'd arrive at 6 a.m. so you bet we made plenty of quick scrambled eggs and omelettes and butter was the rule and under Executive chef watchful eyes. If we over cooked them we had to throw them out and start over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I have a craving for scrambled eggs. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit I like the second one better and those are perfection! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Larry, The eggs look good but we seem to never make scrambled eggs without something else mixed in. Sometimes its bits of meat but most of the time its cheese. 4 eggs with some cream cheese, shredded sharp cheddar, pepper and a squirt of half and half...and then into the frying pan nicely 'greased' with salt free butter. Take Care, Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scrambled eggs are a weekend staple at our house. We generally keep them pretty simple with salt, pepper, cream, and then cheese to finish. A great, easy way to feed a crowd.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments