Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Creamed Cauliflower (aka Creamy Garlic Parmesan Cauliflower with Bacon) & Thanksgiving Dinner

When daughter Wende invited me over for what is becoming her traditional Thanksgiving supper of Cornish hens cooked over an open fire, I volunteered to bring a side dish.  My original choice was Brussels sprouts & sweet potato hash but when I saw Kevin’s recipe for Creamed Cauliflower, I changed my mind.

On his “Closet Cooking” blog, Kevin describes the dish as “A quick and easy stove-top creamed cauliflower with butter, garlic, parmesan, and bacon!”  I made it by his recipe below but since I made it ahead of time, I transferred to a dish for reheating at Wende’s and I used one of his options to add shredded cheese to the top.  For the complete list of options and his good how-to pics, just click on the above link.

But before I get the cauliflower, this is the main event being cooked over the open fire - potatoes and onions in the foil.



Creamed Cauliflower

Ingredients:

4 ounces bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces

2 tablespoons butter

1 small onion, finely diced

4 cloves garlic, chopped

1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped

1/2 cup chicken broth (or milk or heavy cream)

1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream

1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated

salt and pepper to taste

2 pounds cauliflower (cut into bite sized pieces)

Directions:

Cook the bacon in a large pan, over medium heat, before setting aside and draining off all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease.

Add the butter to the pan and let it melt before adding the onion and cooking until tender, about 5 minutes.

Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.

Add the broth, cream, and cheese, bring to a simmer and let the cheese melt before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.

Add the cauliflower, cover and simmer until tender, about 15-20 minutes.

Mix the bacon back in.

Pour into a casserole dish (just for me to reheat) and top with shredded cheese. 

The Verdict:

We had a very good Thanksgiving meal with plenty of food and good visiting especially with Eliza who was anxious for me to play with her and her new magnetic tiles.  I didn’t get a shot of the cauliflower until we had served it but I thought it was very good and I will make it again.

I was too busy playing to get any Eliza pics but here is one her grandmother took while we waited for the food. 

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

11/23/23 meal date

6 comments:

  1. Obviosly, you have the cutest granddaughter in the entire world

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my I love her hair! super adorable! the chicken looks awesome and I like that grilling unit! Not much of a creamed anything fan but I will take all the chicken!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cauliflower, bacon and cream? I can't resist that combo. Sounds wonderful and I must try. I've got some cream left over from Thanksgiving that needs to be used.
    One of us around here is a cauliflower fan, and Bob isn't on that list. OMG Eliza is simply adorable. Love that red hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you could be with family for Thanksgiving, and Eliza is just as cute as can be! The creamed cauliflower looks and sounds tasty and I'm sure it paired well with the rest of the delicious looking meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Larry, We do like Cornish Hens and actually roasted a couple earlier this fall. Love your veggie dish with cauliflower, bacon and cheese. A veggie that isn't green that I can eat! Our Thanksgiving wasn't what we expected. Halfway to Omaha, David II called and told us that he had Covid. So we turned around and stayed overnight on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving in Effingham IL. We got home after dark on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving so we stopped at Food Lion to pick up something we could do for Thanksgiving. A whole chicken shredded and mixed in with stuffing and consumed with turkey gravy. Worked well and I had leftovers for stuffing sandwiches too! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments