Sunday, November 12, 2023

Cedar Plank Salmon With Maple Ginger Glaze & Smoker Repaired

Not sure how I got there but I ended up looking online at some cedar planks for grilling and since I had plenty of Sockeye Salmon in the freezer, I ordered a 12 pack of planks – probably from Amazon.  As best I can tell, I’ve only made this dish once since I began blogging and since we thought it was just okay, I went in search of a new recipe.  The recipe I selected for Cedar Plank Salmon With Maple Ginger Glaze  came from Lisa on her “Downshiftology” blog.


Cedar Plank Salmon With Maple Ginger Glaze

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs. Salmon, (Sockeye, Coho, King)

1/2 cup maple syrup

1/3 cup tamari (I used soy sauce)

1/4 cup lemon juice

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 tbsp grated ginger

green onion (optional)

Instructions:

Submerge your cedar planks in water for at least 2 hours. You may need to put something heavy on them to keep them under water.

Add the maple syrup, tamari, lemon juice, garlic and ginger to a small pot on high heat. Bring the sauce to a boil and then turn it down to low, stirring occasionally. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the sauce has reduced in half and becomes thicker, then remove from the heat.

Turn the grill on medium high until it reaches 350°F (175°C).

While the grill is heating, pat down the salmon to remove any extra moisture. With the salmon, skin-side down, brush the glaze over the whole salmon.

Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).

Brush the cooking grates clean. Place the soaked plank over direct medium heat and close the lid. After 5 to 10 minutes, when the plank begins to smoke and char, turn the plank over.

Place the salmon pieces, skin side down, on the plank.

Close the lid and cook until the salmon is lightly browned on the surface and the internal temperature is 125F in the thickest part (Cook more done if you like as Bev does so we give her the thinner tail piece).  You can add a little more glaze to the salmon halfway through the cooking process.

Once the salmon is done, turn the grill off and use 2 tongs to transport the cedar plank to a large baking pan. Add optional toppings like green onion and serve immediately.

Not your typical but we sided the salmon with a baked sweet potato and salad.

The Verdict:

The salmon was very good and I would use the recipe again.

My Masterbuilt Smoker developed an electrical problem and it was dead-in-the-water.  Friend Russ, who is an electrical engineer and trouble shooter extraordinaire, figured out the problem and after two tries we got a good part from Amazon and the smoker is now ready for some meat.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

11/05/23 meal date

4 comments:

  1. Hi Larry, I love cedar planked salmon... That being said, I've only had it once and that was in the Puget Sound area. Looks great! I'll bet you're happy that your smoker is working again. One of our friends is fixing my Weber Grill so I can start grilling again...its been quite a while. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its been ages since I've made cedar plank salmon. I'll have to try this recipe. Our grill was damaged badly in the tornado, so we're deciding what to do, new or repair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious!!! I need to keep an eye out for cedar planks.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments