Saturday, November 18, 2023

Eliza Brings Her Family For Salmon, Tots, And Peas & Carrots

We didn’t get together for Eliza’s birthday, so I invited her to bring her family down for Sunday dinner and to get her present.  The menu for the meal was a 3lb.6oz. piece of Sockeye Salmon, baked tater tots, and peas and carrots.  I opted for the peas and carrots because I had several bags of peas in the freezer.  Rather than our normal of just tossing them in butter, I decided to use Neli’s recipe for Carrots and Peas from her “Delicious Meets Healthy” blog.  I doubled her recipe to get the one below but the original can be found by clicking on the above link.

For salmon and dill sauce, I used the same recipe as s few weeks ago .


CARROTS AND PEASAdapted from Delicious Meets Healthy

Ingredients:

4 Tablespoons unsalted butter

4 Tablespoons water, or chicken stock

2 small onion, finely chopped (Larry used ½ cup)

4-6 carrots, (Larry used 2 cups sliced baby carrots)

4 garlic cloves, minced

4 Tablespoons honey

1½ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1 teaspoon thyme leaves

2 cups frozen peas

Instructions:

1. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium high heat.

2. Add the water, diced onion and carrots, minced garlic, honey, salt, ground black pepper, and thyme and bring to a boil.


3. Cover, reduce the heat to medium and cook until the carrots are just tender, about 8 minutes.

4. Add the peas, cover, and simmer until the carrots and peas are tender, about 5 minutes longer. Serve warm.

The Verdict:

The salmon and dill sauce were delicious as expected and so were the peas and carrots, which was a bit of a surprise to me considering what I thought were the unique ingredients (garlic & onion with honey).  I would use this recipe again.

I forgot to get pics of Eliza opening her 100 piece magnetic tile set but her favorite part of the meal was the tater tots.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

11/12/23 meal date

7 comments:

  1. Wow. Your peas and carrots sure sound a whole lot better than the frozen ones I have in my freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grow dill and just bought salmon I must try this

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Eliza. Potatoes are are most often our favorite part of the meal. It all looks delicious. I'll have to try the peas and carrots recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, When our grandsons were Eliza's age, the tater tots would have been all they would have eaten! Great looking slab of salmon... Try not to gag, but I like my peas buttered and then mixed in with a little spicy ketchup. I know that it's really weird! I like them by themselves too...but its now a mute point as I can't eat green vegetables with my meds. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to Eliza. What a tasty birthday dinner and I bet she loved her present.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eliza had a great time, and she ate all of her salmon. She's a big fan of salmon, but tater tots reign supreme for a six year old. I thought the peas and carrots were delicious. As the person in charge of putting them together, I have to say they were super easy. I didn't do all the carrot and onion chopping, though, so that part of it might make me change my tune. They really were a nice change from your standard glazed carrot or just steamed peas and carrots with butter. Thanks for having us down!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments