Monday, September 4, 2023

Chopped BLT - A Nice Change

Maybe it’s just me, but I find a regular BLT hard to keep together when eating, especially if I set the sandwich down between bites so when I saw Kevin’s recipe for a Chopped BLT on his Closet Cooking Blog, I knew I wanted to try it.  Then I decided it would be a good meal for our Friday get-together but I increased the ingredients for the six of us.  After watching Kevin’s video and looking at his pics, I believed he used too much stuff for his two sandwiches so rather than just triple his, I used the ingredients below.  While it looks very neat to stack them up and chop them like Kevin did, I cut each of them separately and mixed them together.  You can click on the link above for the original recipe and Kevin's great pics.

Chopped BLTAdapted from Closet Cooking

Ingredients:

18 slices bacon

10 leaves lettuce, romaine

10 slices of large tomato

5 tablespoons mayonnaise or more to taste

salt and pepper to taste

hot sauce to taste (optional)

6 hoagies/buns (not sliced completely through)

Directions:

1. Add a layer of paper towels to a large plate then make three layers of bacon, six slices each with a layer of paper towels between each and paper towels on top.

2. Nuke to your desired level of crispiness – it took 20 minutes for ours.


3. Chop the bacon, lettuce, and slice & chop tomato.


4. In a large bowl, mix together the bacon, lettuce, mayo, S&P then gently mix in the tomatoes I think I could have used a little less.


5. Nuke the buns for a few seconds to just get them warm then stuff with the BLT mixture.

The Verdict:

It was very good and a great way to make a BLT even for those who didn’t want the bread and ate it like a salad.  The only complaint was not enough bacon – you can never have too much bacon.  Excellent end of summer meal.

I often have a broken-yolk egg on my BLT for breakfast but decided to change it up for this meal and go open-faced.  I warmed half of a hoagie roll, topped it with some leftover BLT stuffing, and added a sunny side up egg - it was delicious.


Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

9/1/23 meal date

5 comments:

  1. WE just love chopped BLT and thought what a great idea yours looks delish!. So I made it in a huge bowl yesterday and served it as a dip (added more mayo) with garlic bread toast points, this sandwich looks amazing we are huge fans of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! And those tomatoes look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, That's a good looking sandwich! Thanks for reminding me of BLTs while quality tomatoes are still available. The one type of greens I can still eat is iceberg lettuce...so we have Benton's Bacon on hand and we'll have BLTs in the next day or two. With Benton's bacon's intense flavor, one can overdo it. We usually use just two or three slices per sandwich. Great looking breakfast! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a terrific idea! The BLT looks tasty & so does the breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments