Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken - Three Delicious Meals

I am a big fan of salsa verde, an even bigger fan of pork chile verde (Oscar‘s in Durango, CO was my first), and Bev and I both want to lose some weight so when I saw this recipe for Salsa Verde Chicken from Kevin on his “Closet Cooking” blog, it moved to the top of my make-soon list.  For plenty of how-to pics, check out Kevin’s blog by clicking on the above link.

And for bonuses, it’s a slow cooker meal and we won’t have to cook for a couple of days.  Just looking online at Oscar’s menu and I can imagine a Denver Omelet served with hashbrowns, a cup of chile verde, and tortillas – the verde goes over everything for me.

Salsa Verde Chicken Taco

Ingredients:

2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts (I used 3 lb.)

2 cups salsa verde (I used store bought)

4 oz. can chopped green chiles

1 jalapeno, seeded and diced

1 onion, diced

4 garlic cloves, chopped

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 tsp kosher salt (added by me)

4 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)

1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)

1 tablespoon lime juice (optional)

Directions:

Place the chicken in a slow cooker with the mixture of the salsa verde, green chilies, jalapeno, onion, garlic, and cumin and salt and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 4-6 hours.  ( I cooked high for three hours then low for three hours and it could have been less.

Pull the chicken, mix into the sauce, mix in the green onions, cilantro, and lime juice.

Taste and add more salt if needed.

Turn cooker to the “Keep Warm” setting for an hour or so to let the chicken absorb the flavors.

Add it to warm tortillas with your favorite toppings – onions, cheese, and jalapenos for me - and fold into a soft taco.

The Verdict For Meal 1:

It looks very similar to Chile Verde but with less liquid and it tasted delicious.  Next time I'll add the lime juice a tsp. at a time.  Bev decided it needed something so she added a can of Rotel to the leftovers and we both liked it better so next time I'll add two cans of Rotel in the beginning, along with the can of green chiles.

Meal Two - Breakfast

And of course meal number two was breakfast and don't know if there is a Mexican name for it.  I even took the time for garnish and I'd have to rate it even better than just delicious and closer to awesome beginning with a warm flour tortilla.


Then the warmed meat and shredded cheddar.


Followed by onion and pickled jalapenos.


And finally a couple of farm fresh sunny side-up eggs.


Meal Three - Burrito

The burro was pretty basic but it was delicious - I was really full.  It began with a 10" flour tortilla nuked for 20 seconds and then some of the heated chicken mixture. 


Next was two eggs scrambled with some chopped jalapenos.


Then topped with shredded cheddar.


I rolled it up, topped with sliced America cheese, and nuked it for 90 seconds.






Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

7/4 - 7/723 meal dates

3 comments:

  1. Larry, You definitely maxed out the variations on your salsa verde chicken. I actually much prefer the green salsa over the red...but of course, I would include the jalapenos in the recipe. Hope all is well! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. All three meals look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With your goulash recipe and now this, you're keeping me busy cooking this week. And nice indoor meals. Too hot to grill. Like your idea of the rotel tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments