Saturday, July 15, 2023

Really Good, Slow-Cooker Goulash

I found myself reading online about Ukrainian food and decided to make one of their dishes to honor their situation.  It seems that Borscht and dumplings are two of their favorites but I opted to go with Guliash (Goulash) and it seems that there is very little differences between the goulashes eaten across Eastern Europe so I just picked a recipe that looked good to me – several used steak sauce (Heinz 57) and that didn’t appeal to me.  The recipe I chose for Hungarian Goulash came from Taste Of Home and I amended it a little to use ripe peppers and I omitted the sugar then, rather than egg noodles, I served it over mashed potatoes using just a basic recipe to make them.

Even though we had just made goulash in March from a different recipe and it’s certainly not a summertime dish, I just had to make it.

Hungarian GoulashAmended from Taste Of Home

The Ingredients:

3 medium onions, chopped

2 medium carrots, chopped

2 medium red peppers, chopped

1 medium yellow pepper, chopped

3 pounds beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1” cubes

¾ teaspoon salt, divided

¾ teaspoon pepper, divided

2 tablespoons olive oil

1½ cups reduced-sodium beef broth

¼ cup all-purpose flour

3 tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoons tomato paste

1 teaspoon caraway seeds

1 garlic clove, minced

Dash sugar

12 cups uncooked whole wheat egg noodles

1 cup reduced-fat sour cream

The Directions:

1. Place the onions, carrots and peppers in a 5-qt. slow cooker.

2. Sprinkle meat with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches. Transfer to slow cooker.

3. Add broth to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.

4. Combine the flour, paprika, tomato paste, caraway seeds, garlic, sugar and remaining salt and pepper; stir into skillet.

5. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over meat.

6. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.


7. Add potatoes to a dish and top with the goulash.

Serve with sour cream on the side (the recipe calls for stirring it into the pot of goulash).

Since it had ingredients that we all like, I made for our Friday card group and this is my bowl.

The Verdict:

The dish was a major hit with everyone and we loved the goulash served over mashed potatoes.  The potatoes were light and fluffy and the goulash may have been our best ever.  As usual, Taste Of Home can be relied upon for good food and this is the new go-to recipe.  I thought using ripe, rather than green, peppers and omitting the sugar worked very well but next time I'll use both.

I had forgotten the sour cream so, for the next nights leftovers, I added some and preferred it without the sour cream but that's just me, you may prefer the sour cream but which ever, you need to make this recipe.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

7/7/23 meal date

4 comments:

  1. Taste of Home indeed is a great resource for good recipes. And with your recommendation, I'll be making this very soon. And will serve it over mashed potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious I love anything comforting and this screams it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BOOKMARKED! It's so darn hot here right now so I'll have to wait, but I will definitely be making this one! You are killing me with these comfort food recipes. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so tasty on top of the mashers!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments