Monday, May 22, 2023

Salmon With Pineapple, Mango, Avocado Salsa, Coconut Rice, and Asparagus

As you may know, Blogger no longer sends out notices when I post so I am putting together an email list and I'll let you know when I put up a new post.  If you'd like to be on the list, just send me your email address.

Cindy has a client and friend, Glennie, that she has been wanting to have over for dinner and we finally got it scheduled.  Cindy advised that Glennie likes salmon so when our neighbors ask what they could bring us back from Joe Patti’s Seafood Market during their recent trip to Florida, I requested Norwegian salmon.


Our menu was pretty simple:

Baked salmon with mango salsa

Coconut rice

Bacon wrapped asparagus side dish

Lemon chiffon pie

Salmon

Remove salmon from the package, trim as desired, and store uncovered in the fridge to dry on top.

Remove from fridge and allow to come to room temperature.

Preheat oven to 400F.

Line a baking pan with heavy-duty foil and grease lightly.

Place salmon skin side down on foil and brush the top with olive oil.

Sprinkle with Tiger Seasoning then add sliced lemons.


Bake for 12-25 minutes to your desired level of done – 125F in the thickest part for me.

Remove from the oven and serve

Pineapple, Mango, Avocado Salsa - from Mango.org

Since I had posted about this salsa previously, I'll just include the recipe link for the post.

Coconut Rice – From Cooking Classy  

The recipe for Grilled Lime Salmon with Avocado-Mango Salsaand Coconut Rice came from “Cooking Classy” but I only used it for the rice.  I followed the recipe but added about a half cup of par-cooked fresh peas to the finished rice to add a little color.

Ingredients:

1½ cups Zico Coconut Water

1¼ cups canned coconut milk

1½ cups jasmine rice, rinsed well and drained well

½ tsp salt

Directions:

In a medium saucepan bring coconut water, coconut milk, rice and salt to a full boil.

Cover and simmer until liquid has been absorbed (there may be just a little bit of excess liquid in center which you can drain off), about 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, then let rest 5 minutes.

Bacon Wrapped Asparagus

I tossed our fresh asparagus in olive oil and seasoned with S&P, then I wrapped each bundle of 6-7 spears in regular thickness bacon.

I baked in at 400F until the bottom was crisp (about 10 minutes) then flipped to the other three sides for about five minutes each to crisp up the bacon all around.

We considered the asparagus as an appetizer with salad as a side dish but decided that would be too much food so we used it as the side.  Here is one of our plates.

Lemon, Chiffon Pie

For dessert, Cindy made Lemon Chiffon Pie using a recipe from Cook’s Illustrated and it deserves a separate post to come soon.

The Verdict:

The salmon was delicious and I got it cooked just right for everyone and the salsa was also very good and went well with the fish.  The rice had a nice, subtle coconut flavor that was somewhat overshadowed by the salmon and the salsa.  While the asparagus got more done than I normally eat it due to bacon crisping, it was still delicious.  So, I would say the overall meal was very good and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Then after supper, we went for a little sunset boat ride and Glennie made good friends of our dogs even the standoffish Romeo.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

05/18/23 meal date


7 comments:

  1. Larry, Great looking meal!! What's with Romeo?! I think that he's in love! Grrrrr! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice one of our favorite is salsa on top of salmon this is a home run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful meal. I'll have to try that cajun version of mango salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good except for the coconut as I am allergic to it. Love the salmon and salsa..HRB..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it looks like a delicious gourmet meal! A sunset boat ride after a tasty meal sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments