Monday, May 1, 2023

Brisket And Pork For Friday Cards & Belmont Peanuts

In my previous post, I discussed my cooking of a brisket flat and pork butt, and this time I’ll show what we did with them but before I do, once again I learned something new.

I love all kinds of nuts but I am a nut snob as I want them to be fresh and crispy which I have discovered isn’t easy to find.  Planters Cocktail Nuts were my standard many years ago but I can’t even count on them anymore.  If a nut has any hint of being stale or having a rancid smell, I’m not interested.  After seeing them advertised, I tried some from Nuts.com and they must have been last years so the birds got them, after a rinse.


Belmont

Then I discovered Belmont Virginia Peanuts and they are great - fresh and the crunchiest I’ve ever had.  I’ve also been eating dry roasted peanuts for years but it never occurred to me to find the difference between them and regular roasted peanuts.  As it turns out, the regular version is actually roasted in oil which I think makes them fried but that wouldn’t sound as good and when checking the label, sure enough the second ingredient is canola oil.  How about that.  Belmont also has excellent cashews and a few other products - their nuts are pricey, but this nut snob is willing to pay and now I need a great supplier for other kinds of nuts – let me know if you have one.

Now to the food.

After cooling a little, I sliced the brisket fairly thin across the grain, returned to the pan and topped with the juice to which I had added a ½ tsp of salt and a ¼ tsp more of liquid smoke.  Then covered and stored in the fridge.

To serve, I let it come to room temperature, then warmed it in a 250/225F oven for about 2 hours.

After pulling the pork (forgot the pic), I added it to quart freezer bags and kept a couple out of the freezer to eat on.  To reheat the pork, I just nuked it for a couple of minutes. 

 

We served the meat with coleslaw, buns, BBQ sauce, dill pickles, chopped onion, and mustard.  This is my sammie.


The Verdict:

Both meats were very good - moist, tender, and tasty - and I would recommend this oven version.  But, I didn't think either were as good as from the smoker as that dark bark adds a whole nother dimension to the flavor profile.  I put broth, onion, and dill pickle on my brisket sandwich and it was delicious - I would only put BBQ sauce on dry, tasteless brisket as I've gotten in a few restaurants.

The menu items for this meal provided something different for everyone and it was a big hit with all of us.

Breakfast

I chopped, reheated some brisket and broth, and turned it into an open faced sandwich topped with small, free range (orange yolks), fried eggs.

It was plenty good but not quite as good as some other things I’ve topped with eggs.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

04/28 & 4/29/23 meal date


3 comments:

  1. Larry, We do buy some things from nuts.com...but as you have learned, the regular peanuts aren't special. We do like their sugar coated or glazed mixed nuts. Belmont peanuts are the best! Love good brisket...and ribs. Kind of 'off' when it comes to pulled pork, don't know why. Love all your food experiments... Breakfast looked good to me! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you Larry. I like my nuts fresh and crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just realized that I've never ever made a brisket. Hmmm. I need to change that! Both the brisket & pork look tasty and so does the breakfast!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments