Tuesday, April 25, 2023

The Great Spam vs. Treet Taste Test & Bev BD

I’ve posted before that my mom bought Armor’s Treet rather Hormel’s Spam to feed us kids and I have no idea why other than it may have been a few cents cheaper.  Not long after that post early last year, I bought a can of each for a taste test and I finally got around to doing it after discovering the two cans while organizing the pantry - you know I love taste tests.

Before the taste test, let’s look at the ingredients:

Spam: a mixture of pork and ham meat, salt, water, potato starch, sugar, and sodium nitrite

Treet: mechanically separated chicken, water, pork, salt, sugar, corn syrup. Contains 2% or less of: modified corn starch, brown sugar, hydrolyzed corn, soy and wheat gluten proteins, canola oil, smoke flavored barley malt flour, sodium erythorbate, natural flavors, sodium nitrite, sodium tripolyphosphate.

A pretty big difference.

Next I cut a slice of each for a right-out-of-the-can taste but first I noticed that the Treet was a good bit darker in color ten I had a bite.

The first thing to hit me was the salt level in both but I couldn’t tell much difference in their actual taste - my taster may not be refined enough.

Next, I fried those two pieces in a neutral oil, tasted and once again, not a discernable difference – but still very salty - the Treet got much darker.

I had fried some cod the previous evening and still had leftover batter so I cooked a slice of each in it with the same taste results as previously.

Then, I topped them each with an unsalted egg and spread the yolks around making the meat taste a little less salty but still too much – this is from a guy that is a heavy salter.

And last but not least, I had some boiled potatoes left from the previous nights supper with Eric (son, who picked up the Honda Insight that we gave to grandson, Matthew) so I diced them and the remaining Treet and Spam, fried it as hash, and topped with unsalted fried eggs (forgot the pics).  This combination was much better but I had to have a piece of potato and meat in a bite or it was still salty.

No offense to you Spam/Treet lovers out there, but I’ve now been-there-done-that and won’t need to try either again which works fine as I can stick with the Kentucky Legend Ham that I really like.

Bev BD

I had mentioned several times that Bev and Pat were spending a couple weeks on the Island of Saint Marten/Sint Maarten and while there she celebrated a major BD.  While I wasn’t with her, I know she didn’t miss me as son Rhett was there for a week and helped her enjoy the day.

They took a tour around the island and one stop was a selfie place where she participated.



I know she had a very good time but I’m sure looking forward to her being back home.  

I can't seem to fix the white highlighting of the verbiage.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

04/22-23/23 meal dates

3 comments:

  1. Larry, Every once in a while...about once a year...I get a hankering for Spam. I used to love it so it's hard to get the memories out of my mind. But, to your point, it is way too salty and I agree that the best way to eat it is with potatoes, eggs and a slice of toast so the sodium isn't too in your face... I've never had "Treet". Looks like Bev had a great birthday! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a spam girl but my kids love to eat spam masubi when we visit Hawaii. Love that Bev is having a blast in Sint Maarten for her birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos of Bev and Happy Birthday to her. About Spam. I've never had it in my life until about 10 years ago when Bob decided he needed to relive the spam years of his youth. I took a bite and could taste no flavor except salt and a lot of it. Like you, I don't think I ever need to taste it again. ever. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments