Friday, April 14, 2023

Ham and Manchego Sandwich & Spring Is Here

Chef Lea An posted this recipe for Ham and Manchego Sandwich on her “Cooking On The Ranch” blog some time ago and I’ve been saving it for the right time and since Bev has gone off to Sint Maarten for a couple of weeks and I’m cooking for one this was a simple, easy meal and I had most of the ingredients.  The recipe below makes two sandwiches so I invited Cindy to join me.

This is a quote from Lea Ann’s blog – “The ingredients and the flavors they create in this sandwich are made for each other. Salty ham, sweet and creamy cheese, smoky roasted bell peppers and savory caramelized onion. The pumpernickel bread adds just enough pizzaz to bring it all together.”  How could you not try this after seeing her pic.


Ham and Manchego Sandwich

Ingredients:

1 medium onion sliced and caramelized

1½ tablespoons olive oil

4 slices Pumpernickel Bread

Mayonnaise

2 whole roasted red bell peppers, room temp.

Sliced ham, room temp (I used Kentucky Legends)

4 slices Manchego Cheese

Instructions:

1. Slice onion. Heat a non-stick fry pan over medium high heat. When pan is hot, add olive oil. When olive oil is shimmering, turn down heat to medium low and add sliced onion.  Season with S&P.

2. Cook, stirring often for 20 – 30 minutes until onions are nicely browned.

To build sandwich.

3. Heat oven on broil setting.

4. On two slices of bread, spread mayo.

5. Place ham, onions, and one red bell pepper per sandwich.

6. Add sliced cheese.

7. Place under broiler for just a few seconds until cheese is melting and just starting to brown.

8. Place the other two slices of bread on top. Slice in half and serve.

Our bread slices were big so we had two large sandwiches.


The Verdict:

I thought it was delicious and Cindy said wonderful so we obviously really enjoyed it.  I could have used a little more cheese but I can’t buy it in slices around here and my small wedge was barely enough.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

04/12/23 meal date

4 comments:

  1. well except for anything with onions I am in.. deathly allergic thats why you never see them in my recipes however this looks mighty tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, My kind of sandwich...except for the onions and peppers. Love the bread, ham and of course, the Manchego cheese. It's our favorite from Costco. I'd use a bit of Dijon mustard and spicy sliced jalapenos on my version... Hope that all is well! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked this sandwich. I got the idea from a liquor store here in Denver. A liquor store so large that it has a small sandwich shop in case you stay so long you get hungry. :-) I'm jealous of your Spring yard. Still pretty brown here. The grass has some spots of green and the trees are just now starting to get buds. If we could just get some rain, things would pop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've had Manchego before but I have a feeling I would devour this sandwich!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments