Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Red Snapper Livornese And Sauteed Asparagus

While doing a deep freezer dive, I found a package of red snapper that we had frozen from our 2017 trip to Joe Patti’s in Pensacola, FL and I’m confident most people would just toss it.  However, I’m bad not to throw away items past their expiration dates, especially canned and dried items, without testing them.  So, I thawed the fish in the fridge and when I opened the plastic bag, I was met with a fresh fish smell (so almost no smell).  Upon removal, I found the flesh to be firm and without freezer burn so I cut off some thin belly meat and gave it a quick nuke for a taste test.  It tasted just like it should have and it didn’t make me sick so on the supper menu it went.

Next was to decide how to prepare it and after a little web surfing, I settled on a recipe for Red Snapper Livornese from Phil on his “The Italian Chef” blog.  We tend to like Mediterranean seafood dishes and this looked like one Cindy and I would enjoy (Bev still gone) and I had all of the ingredients on hand.  The recipe called for four snapper fillets and I had only three but I made all of the sauce knowing I would use any extra for something.  You can click on the above link for Phil’s pics.

Red Snapper Livornese

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 small yellow onion, diced

12 gaetta olives (I used Kalamata)

2 tablespoons capers

4 Red Snapper fillets

1 cup marinara sauce

1 cup dry white wine

salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

2. Season the fish with S&P.

3. Heat the olive oil in a saute pan large enough to hold the snapper fillets, over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes.

4. Add the olives and capers and continue cooking until onion is translucent 3-5 minutes.

5. Lay the red snapper fillets skin side down in the pan, and add the marinara sauce and white wine.


6. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste, and place the pan in the oven.

7. Bake in the oven until fish is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes to an internal of 125F at the thickest part or your desired temp.  I use a remote probe thermometer.

8. Using a spatula, carefully transfer fish to serving plates, spoon sauce over fish and serve.

We served it with some fresh asparagus sauteed in a little olive oil, lemon juice & butter, and garlic then topped with Parmesan, generally using The Pioneer Woman’s recipe

Verdict:

The snapper was flakey, moist, and totally delicious especially after five years in the freezer and this is a recipe to be used again.  I cannot believe we didn’t have to feed this fish to the dogs but I won't assume I'll be this lucky again.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

04/16/23 meal date

 

2 comments:

  1. Larry, Five years in the freezer and not only are you still alive and well, but you made a fine and healthy dinner. Shows the value of properly packaging and freezing fresh fish! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the fish was still good enough to eat. Love this recipe and have never thought to cook fish like this for some reason. Asparagus looks like the perfect side for the meal. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments