Sunday, January 16, 2022

Smoked Beef Tri-Tip, My First

I went freezer diving and discovered a nice beef tri-tip roast/steak that I wanted to use but rather than just grill it as usual, I decided to smoke it first.  I set up the smoker to run at 225F and used some maple for the smoke.  For seasoning, I used a brisket rub from master BBQer Chis Lilly.

Brisket Dry Rub Recipe:

1/2 tblsp salt

1/2 tblsp paprika

1/2 tblsp black pepper

1/2 tblsp sugar

1/2 teaspoon garlic

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon oregano

1/8 teaspoon ground coriander

It took a little over two hours for the meat to reach an internal temperature of 130 F. 

I turned on my grill burners and got the temp up to 550F then grilled the tri-tip over direct heat for a few minutes on each side to establish a nice crust.

I then wrapped it in foil and put in the 135F toaster-oven until we were ready to eat, giving it time for the juices to redistribute.  My pieces came from the thickest part of the roast and were a little less done.

Verdict:

The meat was very good but it wasn’t in the smoker long enough to get any bark or much smoke flavor so I would have to do a side-by-side taste test with an unsmoked one to know how much impact the smoker had on it.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

01/13/22 event date

4 comments:

  1. Larry, Great looking hunk of beef! Love it the way it was on your plate...medium rare. Once upon a time in Kansas City, I had smoked/BBQ prime rib. It was terrific but probably due the cost, one rarely sees in on the menu. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet I wouldn't have said "where's the bark"? ;) Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a fabulous rub! This smoked beef tri tip looks awesome are you sure this is your first time, 100% perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks tasty & perfectly cooked to me!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments