I’m back to eating healthier with very low carbs so a chicken stir-fry dish seemed to fit the bill well but before I get into the food let’s look at the weather. It was 76F on New Years Day and we awoke on Jan 3 to this.
I began with a stir fry recipe that I've made before, then I made a few adjustments to the ingredients and cooking method to use what I had on hand.
Easy Chicken Stir Fry – Adapted from Mom On Timeout
1 tbsp. corn starch
2 tbsp. cold water
¼ cup homemade chicken broth
3 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
1/8-1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 lb. 6 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1” cubes
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp. olive oil divided
2 cups broccoli florets (pre-steamed)
1 cup red bell peppers (thawed)
½ cup carrots sliced
1 cup onion, thick sliced half moons
2 tsp. minced ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup salted peanuts (or cashews if you have them)
1. In a medium size bowl, whisk together corn starch and water. Add the chicken broth, soy sauce, honey, toasted sesame oil, and red pepper flakes and whisk to combine. Set aside.
2. Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet or wok and heat over medium high heat.
3. Add chicken (in batches if necessary) and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from skillet.
4. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet.
5. Add carrots and onion and cook for a minute
6. Add peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, for a minute
7. Add broccoli, ginger, and garlic and cook for another minute, stirring.
8. Add more oil as needed.
9. Add chicken to the skillet and stir to combine.
10. Whisk stir fry sauce and pour over chicken and vegetables and stir gently to combine.
11. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and let boil for one minute. Add the peanuts, stir to coat everything with the sauce and serve.
No rice for us on the low carb diet.
It was very good and the peanuts added a nice crunch and flavor and salted ones worked just fine. We decided the dish could use a little more soy sauce for our taste but that’s a personal preference. I would make this again.
Cindy had taken this pic of Romeo and me one day while we were riding on the pontoon boat then had it put on a T-shirt for a great Christmas present for me.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.
01/04/22 event date