We had a package of wings in the freezer that needed to be used so I went looking thru my recipe file for something different and came across the recipe for "Mediterranean Style Grilled Chicken Wings" from Suzy on her “The Mediterranean Dish” blog. Unlike the flavors I usually associate with Mediterranean cuisine (Greece & Italy), this dish has Middle-Eastern spices so I assume it comes from the other side of the Med. I followed the ingredients list but used more of everything for my larger amount of chicken – a pkg of wings and two breasts for the non-wing eaters. This is a pic from Suzy's blog.
Mediterranean Style Chicken Wings
For the marinade
1 large red onion, quartered
8 garlic cloves
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
juice of 2 lemons
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper (or ½ teaspoon red
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon nutmeg
For the wings
2 ½ pounds chicken wings
1. In the bowl of a large food processor fitted with a blade, combine the onion, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and spices. Pulse until well combined into a thick marinade.
2. Season the chicken wings well with Kosher salt and put them in a zip top bag. Pour the marinade over and zip the bag shut. Massage the bag a bit to distribute the marinade.
3. Lay the bag of wings flat on a large plate or tray. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours, turning the bag over once midway through.
4. Heat a gas grill to 425 degrees F and lightly oil the grates.
5. Shake off excess marinate then arrange the wings over direct heat. Cover the grill and cook the wings for 15 to 20 minutes, turning over every 5 minutes, until they are fully cooked through.
We all thought the chicken was very good and a nice departure from the ways we normally cook wings. Because of Cindy and Pat, I omitted the heat but believe it would have made them even better.
When we visit the bank drive-thru, they always provide the pups with a dog biscuit so Romeo starts getting excited as soon as we pull into the driveway. Here he is not so patiently waiting why my banking is being done.
The funniest part is that he can’t distinguish between the bank and other types of drive-thru so he gets equally excited at McDonalds.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.
01/15/22 event date