Monday, August 9, 2021

Huli Huli Grilled Chicken

We enjoyed Hui Hui Chicken several years ago and when I saw Kevin’s recipe for it I thought it would work well for the Thursday meal for our friends with a couple of changes.  Kevin’s recipe is for sandwiches but I made the chicken as an entrée and doubled the ingredients to get the recipe below.  You can click on the link to get the original recipe plus several pics.

Huli Huli Grilled Chicken – adapted from Closet Cooking

Ingredients:

2 cup pineapple juice (1 c. juice and 1 c. pineapple/coconut nectar)

½ cup soy sauce

½ cup brown sugar

½ cup ketchup

½ cup rice vinegar

2 tablespoon garlic, grated

½ t. powdered ginger

1 tablespoon sriracha

2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce

2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

2 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts

2 Lbs. skinless thighs (bone-in)

Pineapple chunks

The Directions:

1. For the huli huli sauce, mix everything until the sugar dissolves into the liquid.

2. Marinate the chicken in the huli huli sauce for an hour or two.  I used all of the sauce then boiled it to use as a baste for the chicken and pineapple.


3. Shake off any excess marinade from the chicken and grill over medium-high heat until cooked through and lightly charred on both sides, about 2-8 minutes per side, basting with some of the remaining huli huli sauce as it cooks.

4. Grill the pineapple chunks on skewers and brush with the sauce. 


Pile on a platter to serve.

To go with the chicken, I made Kevin’s Pineapple PastaSalad and followed his recipe as written so I won’t reproduce it here - I omitted the sugar.

Tip: Make a day ahead of time and let it chill in the fridge overnight.

The Verdict:

As expected from Kevin dishes, both were very good.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

7/15/21 event date

7 comments:

  1. Larry, That chicken and pineapple look fabulous! I usually don't don't go for sweet with my meat but grilled with the pineapple works great for me... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a sweetness with chicken I make something similar with pineapple and peppers so delicious over rice! looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious - did you use dark or light soy sauce please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin always has tasty recipes. I've never had huli huli chicken and I think I need to change that soon because it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to make huli huli chicken - you've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments