Friday, November 30, 2018

Chicken Tetrazzini


When I saw Steph’s recipe for Chicken Tetrazzini on her Plain Chicken blog during my morning blog reading and knowing that Bev was planning a trip to the store and could get the supplies, we decided it would be perfect for an easy meal on a cold rainy day.  Please check her blog for pics and the original recipe as we adapted it just a little.  

One of the things I picked up from a BBQ buddy back it the day was how delicious it was to add the chicken skin to the pulled BBQ chicken after chopping it and rendering the fat so I did that for this dish and Bev wanted to add some mushrooms so we did that as well.  



Finally, after pulling the meat from the bones, I added all of the scraps to a pan, covered with water and made the needed rich broth.


Chicken Tetrazzini – lightly adapted from Plain Chicken

INGREDIENTS:
1 (16-oz) package linguine pasta
1 whole rotisserie chicken, meat removed and chopped, skin chopped and fat rendered
8 oz fresh mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 (10.75-oz) can cream of chicken soup
1 (10.75-oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (16-oz) container sour cream
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (we used Mexican blend left from Thanksgiving)
2 tsp dried parsley

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 300ºF. Lightly spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Add butter to the skillet used to render the chicken skin and sauté mushrooms
3. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
4. In a large bowl (I used the pasta pot), combine chopped chicken, soups, sour cream, mushrooms with butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Stir in cooked pasta.
5. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with cheeses and parsley. Cover with aluminum foil or gold/silver foil if you prefer



6. Bake covered for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until bubbly and cheese is melted.



Bev’s first bite generated a “I really like this” comment followed by “it may be the best chicken casserole I’ve had” and I thought it was very good as well and it will definitely be on our make again list.  I don’t know what the original recipe tasted like but I have to believe the rendered skin, mushrooms, and rich broth added to it.  Thanks Steph for a delicious supper.

I don't know why the verbage came up in black and white or how to fix it but hopefully I can prior to my next past - advice appreciated.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

11/29/18 Event Date

7 comments:

  1. now that looks and sounds like and amazing meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about the changes in text color; just call it a "stylistic surprise". (I have no idea how to fix it, either...) This looks terrific; I'll bet I could just cook up a package of chicken chunks and make a variation of this, since I rarely get to the store and there are never leftovers when I roast a whole chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, Laurie would love this entree! I do like the idea of using the chicken skin for flavor... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! My kind of comfort food.

    Not sure what's going on with your text color. Still can read it just fine though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rendering the fat is a great trick to a flavorful chicken dish. I love this recipe and will have to give it a try. Who could say no to pasta, chicken, cheese and mushrooms?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you get my e-mail about I-20? I'm fixing chicken enchiladas for dinner tonight. Believe it or not I am actually cooking. Sure doesn't happen often any more. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so love turkey tetrazzini. This version you made looks luscious and creamy. It made me drool.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments