Tuesday, October 29, 2013

2013 Western Trip – Wrap Up

After two fun filled days in the Kansas City area with Jackie and Dave, we drove for our two longest days (353 & 360 miles) to get home – we rolled into our place around 5:30pm on Oct.2 and it was nice to be out from behind the wheel - I could have spent longer on the trip though.

During our trip we visited the following National Parks & Memorials - Mt. Rushmore, Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches, Canyonlands, and Mesa Verde and I was awed by everyone.  We owe many of our predecessors a great debt of gratitude for having the vision to make the park system happen, beginning with Andrew Jackson who set aside the Federal Reservation in Hot Springs, Arkansas in 1832.  Following this, explorers like John Wesley Powell, naturalists like John Muir, and of course Teddy Roosevelt have all helped to create what we now have.

One of the real trip highlights was meeting four blogger buddies for the first time plus reconnecting with some we'd met before. 
Our trip route included at least one night in the following places: Paducah KY, Goodfield IL, West Salem WI, Salem SD, Hill City SD, Billings MT, Garrison MT, Kalispell MT, Island Park ID, Victor ID, Salt Lake City UT, Moab UT, Cortez CO, Durango CO, Buena Vista CO, Littleton CO, Wakeeney KS, Oak Grove MO, and Sikeston MO.  The total trip covered 5300 miles and took 52 days – now we’re ready for a big trip.  We got 8.6 MPG towing a car, but after attending Camp Freightliner, I believe I can improve on that.

Madison keeps saying we should see the rest of the world and my response is that we’ve seen some of it and when we run out of places to go and people to meet in the good ole USA, or I get to old to drive the RV, then I’ll consider it.

I had a great time and we are now planning a winter trip to warmer climates, then other trips during the rest of 2014 – remember the Paladin theme song – have RV will travel reads the card of a man…

We hope you enjoyed riding along with us this time and will continue to tune in for our next adventures.

Postscript - After owning the RV for 8 months, I went off to Camp Freightliner in Gaffney, SC in mid. Oct. to learn about our chassis and it was a great two days of info about maintaining and driving the diesel machine.  Would you believe there was a couple at the school that we'd met in WI then saw again at two other campgrounds on our trip west.

Photos best if enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

10/2/2013 event date

15 comments:

  1. We have definitely enjoyed your trip and pleased to see that it went well for all of you.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great trip, glad you took 52 days to take it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm kinda sorry to see it come to an end. I've really enjoyed following along. And I couldn't agree more about that debt of gratitude we owe for our National Parks. I think about that whenever I visit Rocky Mountain NP. So nice to meet Madison and Pat and so glad you spent a few days here. Good to see and Bev again, Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great trip... and boy did you see a ton of stuff .. making the most of the trip, for sure! If you ever make it to sunny AZ, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, Apparently the RVing world is a tight knit community and I'm guessing that as you continue your trips, you'll run across folks that you've met before in other RV parks. Heading south sounds right as I think that this will be a cold and snowy winter, even by East Tennessee standards. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had such a fabulous trip and enjoyed it so much... Sounds like you are anxious to go again --and again. We love traveling --but after a couple of weeks, or three at the most, I'm usually ready to get home. I love 'seeing' the world--but I also love my little home here on the plateau.

    Glad it all went so well.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the stories, photos, and sharing the infectious joy you and the girls spread... Thanks for including us on your trip and look forward to many more

    Dave and Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip. I think Texas and Arizona are warm destinations, and Madison might like them. Warning, in case you didn't know: Florida is freakin' freezing in December and January! Don't believe their PR - stay away after Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is so much to see, not enough time to do it. This was a great trip for you and I really enjoyed following along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I envy all the sights you saw, Larry, and the people you met along the way. That was quite a trip and I really enjoyed riding along with you. 8.6 mpg...yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right - we owe a debt of gratitude for our National Parks, we are so lucky to have them. What a wonderful journey you took!!! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Larry - for taking us along. I almost feel like I went on vacation - almost :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was going to say what Tricia did. I really liked this series of posts and it has inspired us to do something similar one day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed following along on your trip. I'm glad that you had a great time...I know you certainly saw a lot of beautiful country along with way.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments