Thursday, January 12, 2012

Rotisserie Chicken On A Cool Day

I’d been wanting to cook something on a spit for a while and decided this was the day – never mind that it was 30* outside or that snow flurries were predicted for the evening, I wanted to do this.  It happens we had a chicken in the freezer and Bev suggested she really liked beer can chicken and I had to explain this was all about the spit.  We also had asparagus and romaine that we needed to cook, so it was an entire meal on the grill.

For the chicken, I just rubbed with oil and used Bev’s favorite Wolfe Citrus Rub inside and out added it to the spit and tied the legs and wings.

I can’t recall the last time I cooked chicken or anything else on the spit, so I had to do a little research to get an idea for cooking time and one to one and one half hours seemed to be the general advice.  I used the infra-red burner on the grill back for most of the cook, but it wasn’t getting the job done quickly enough – windy, 30* temps and snow flurries a likely contributor. 

I swapped the infra-red for the regular grill burners so the heat would rise past the rotating meat and when it was close to the temp I wanted, I tossed on the asparagus and romaine.

In the meantime, Bev made some Hollandaise Sauce using this recipe from Ina Garten

Roasted Asparagus with Hollandaise – asparagus part omitted.

12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
4 extra-large egg yolks, at room temperature
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 pinches of cayenne pepper

Directions

Melt the butter in a small sauce pan. Place the egg yolks, lemon juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 3/4 teaspoon pepper and cayenne in the jar of a blender. Blend for 15 seconds. With the blender running, slowly pour the hot butter into the blender and blend for 30 seconds, until the sauce is thick. (You can leave it in the blender at room temperature for up to 1 hour. If it is made in advance, add 1 tablespoon hot tap water and blend for a few seconds before serving.)

Pour the hollandaise sauce over the warm asparagus and serve.

Bev said it was the easiest she’d ever made, but she missed the UNSALTED butter part and then added one of the 1½ tsps. of salt before realizing it was too salty.  Fortunately the asparagus was under salted and it worked okay.  It was also pretty tangy and used twice the amount of lemon as a similar recipe from Tyler Florence.  While the technique is a keeper, the actual ingredients will need to be adjusted for our taste.

Here’s my plate and it satisfied my current cook-on-the-spit need.

The leftovers made a delicious omelet which I made by sauteeing the chicken and asparagus to reheat, then I stirred in some of the hollandaise which also provided the salt for the dish.

All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

One year ago: Ham & Cheese Sandwich


Larry

1/2/12 meal date

13 comments:

  1. I was glad to see the egg there at the end :)
    I gotta hand it to you, Larry - I don't even know if I could say I would grill in the snow! The bird looks great and I love seeing the grilled Romain - I don't do that often enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad grills outside in the winter all the time! I think he's a bit crazy...but the end result is always worthy. Case in point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a perfect meal to me. And yay ... you got flurries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love home rotisserie chicken. Years ago we had a grill with the infra red burner in the back for the spit. Have not found a grill like it since. Can I ask about the brand name of your grill. Brave of you to take the brunt of the snow flakes and cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and delicious dinner! I love grilled asparagus (especially topped with hollandaise) & grilled romaine. The chicken looks perfect.

    I knew you would do a tasty breakfast with the leftovers and I was right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you never waste anything. You are oh so creative! the chicken looks fantastic, I wish we had a rotisseie. I told Big Daddy Dave, that you two need to have a breakfast throw down for our next blogger get together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly are brave for grilling in that weather. We grill year round too but it does take so much longer when it's cold and windy. My husband has been asking for asparagus with Hollandaise - maybe I should break down and make it for him with your recipe. I'd better put pasteurized eggs on my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admit that I'm impressed that you used the in this weather, but the results look like it was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness Larry... couldn't you have picked a warmer and better day????? ha ha ....

    Looks delicious including the asparagus... YUM...

    We have an inch of snow on the ground up here and it's still snowing.. Getting horribly cold also... Brrrrr.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never even think about grilling in the winter. That looks outstandingly good! You always have the best looking meals!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Larry, Both meals look absolutely great! I love roasted chicken and vegetables and roasting them over a fire just adds flavor big time... That omlet looks damn good too...just add Tabasco! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  12. What, you couldn't combine beer can chicken with spit roasting? Just ram the rotisserie rod through the beer can and turn it sideways. Yeah, I guess you're right, that would make a mess and put out your coals (if not using infrared and gas).

    The chicken looks great. That wind was whipping that night, wasn't it. I didn't even bother trying grilling that night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh man, I am officially jealous of your snow. I would LOVE To bbq in the snow! Of course, I'd also love to sit inside and sip hot cocoa and watch the snow too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments