Sunday, March 21, 2010

Our Belated St Paddy’s Meal

The women got back from the beach Wednesday all tanned and relaxed, and I’d planned to have a traditional Irish meal on Thursday, but for a variety of reasons, we didn’t get to it until Saturday. The menu was:

Homemade corned beef cooked with carrots
Colcannon using the recipe from A Spoon Full Of Thyme
Irish soda bread using a recipe from The Society For The Preservation Of Irish Soda Bread.

For the corned beef, we just covered it in water, added some additional spices, and cooked it in the crockpot all day, adding the carrots mid afternoon. We ended up getting it a little over done but it was still delicious. Bev always likes her roast type meat falling apart tender so it was perfect for her.

I just followed Kate’s recipe for the colcannon. The local Irish TV chef put some kale in his, which made it much greener. I would have done likewise had I had some. We’ve eaten boiled potatoes and cabbage over the years, but the addition of the bacon, garlic and onions gave this a flavor I really like and we have plenty of leftovers.

Our plan was to have traditional Irish soda bread, but Bev had a stick of butter laying out to soften for the mashed potatoes, but she put it in the bread by mistake. The bread did not get as airy as we expected and I assume it was the butter – kinda like a cross between bread and a heavy biscuit. So if you're considering making this bread and wondering how it would be with a stick of butter added to it - I can say don't do that :). While it was pretty dense, I liked the flavor and since it’s so easy to make, we’ll have to try it again soon. Bev said the flavor reminded her of cornbread.


Her's a shot of my plate and it was plenty good.


Have a great day.

Larry

10 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try both the Shepard's Pie and the colcannon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bread look very interesting. Corned beef is a favorite of mine, looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see your bachelorhood has ended too;)

    I know you're glad to have them home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of doing corned beef in the crock pot. You plated up your meal nicely-no doubt Bev enjoyed it.

    btw, I kinda like the idea of the butter in the Irish Soda Bread :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I'm sure that meal was worth waiting on... AND--I know you are glad to have your tanned sweetie home... NOW---is it your turn to take off on a short vacation?????? ha

    Have a great week.... It's going to get cold tonight. Darn!!!
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had Irish Soda Bread and I am Irish! LOL! Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drop Kick Murphy's :
    Shipping up to Boston

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Bev on that fall apart roast meat. Sounds like a very festive and delicious meal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You plated up your meal nicely-no doubt Bev enjoyed it.
    data entry india

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments