Thursday, July 27, 2017

Salmon Burgers

Bev had been wanting some salmon cakes (patties) so we grilled enough fresh salmon for a meal with enough leftover to whip up a batch of cakes the next day.  I found several recipes but when Bev said she wanted a salmon burger on some rye bread that she had, I looked up recipes for the burgers to see if they were the same as the cakes.  I came across one from Mark Bittman and it had several less ingredients than the cakes.

Ingredients:
1½ pounds skinless, boneless salmon – See Note
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 shallots, peeled and cut into chunks
½ cup coarse bread crumbs – I used Panko
1 tablespoon capers, drained – I chopped them a little
 Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil - I used both
 Lemon wedges- we didn’t use
 Tabasco sauce – we didn’t use

Directions:
1. Cut the salmon into large chunks, and put about a quarter of it into the container of a food processor, along with the mustard. Turn the machine on, and let it run -- stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary — until the mixture becomes pasty.
2. Add the shallots and the remaining salmon, and pulse the machine on and off until the fish is chopped and well combined with the puree. No piece should be larger than a quarter inch or so; be careful not make the mixture too fine.
3. Scrape the mixture into a bowl, and by hand, stir in the bread crumbs, capers and some salt and pepper. Shape into four burgers. (You can cover and refrigerate the burgers for a few hours at this point.)
4. Place the butter or oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet, and turn the heat to medium-high.
5. When the butter foam subsides or the oil is hot, cook the burgers for 2 to 3 minutes a side, turning once. 


Alternatively, you can grill them: let them firm up on the first side, grilling about 4 minutes, before turning over and finishing for just another minute or two. To check for doneness, make a small cut and peek inside. Be careful not to overcook. Serve on a bed of greens or on buns or by themselves, with lemon wedges and Tabasco or any dressing you like.

NOTE: While I was writing and this up and re-reading the recipe, it dawned on me that I was supposed to have used raw salmon which explains why mine didn’t get pasty and I had to add a beaten egg to get some moisture.

To build our sandwiches, we used the rye bread and topped the salmon with salad dressing (Creamy Feta for me and 1000 Island for the girls), onion, lettuce, green pepper, and tomatoes.  


I thought it was very good but the burger tasted more like a piece of salmon than the salmon patties we all grew up with - made from canned salmon.  Next time we want them, I’ll use Ina Garten’s recipe for Salmon Cakes to see which we liked best.

And for breakfast the next morning – you guessed it.


Delicious!!  Had the same thing next day.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

7/20/17 Meal Date

13 comments:

  1. Oh those looks so tasty thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed it looks so delicious! and most of all I like that there is no meat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great will have to try................................HRB........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds Delicious...Agree with Dick, will try........Marge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, We get around to having salmon patties once or twice a year despite the fact that we do like them. We've always made them from canned salmon though... Salmon and eggs...a real favorite! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the addition of capers in the recipe and of course the egg topper

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss salmon patties and we used to make them all the time with canned salmon. Now I'm craving one for breakfast! Happy weekend Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, what will you think of next? They look pretty good, and of course you had to have one with your egg. Happy weekending, Larry and girls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet it was tasty with rye bread and of course the breakfast version is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's no surprise with the eggs! I love love salmon burgers but haven't completely sold Bill on them yet, so have to give your version a try. It looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks good! Quick, simple and delicious.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to get your fish intake! I hate when I make something and later find out I missed something in the recipe :) Looks like they turned out great anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This reminded me of a dish my mother used to make called Salmon Croquettes. I enjoy salmon ---so thanks for this recipe.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments