Saturday, July 22, 2017

Creamy Feta Dressing

I’ve found that I like virtually no bottled salad dressings as most of them seem have this unusual flavor that I call a “wang” that I don’t care for – since so many have it, I assume it might be a preservative.  We usually keep a bottle around for when we run-out , but otherwise I prefer homemade or semi-homemade dressings.

I really like Greek flavors including Feta Cheese on salads and I have always used a vinaigrette with crumbled cheese.  Unfortunately for my waistline, I also really like creamy dressings, such as Bleu Cheese, so I went in search of a recipe for a creamy Feta and my search led me to this one from Food.com.

Ingredients:
5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1⁄4 cup buttermilk or 1⁄4 cup milk
1⁄2 cup sour cream
1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 green onion, finely chopped (I used some fresh chives and half a shallot)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill (or 1/4 tsp. dried)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper

Directions:
1. With a fork, mash the cheese and buttermilk together until it resembled the consistency of cottage cheese.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Let sit, covered, in the refrigerator at least a few hours to blend flavors.
5.If it's too thick, just add a little milk until it's the texture you desire.

I recently took it to our wine group dinner for our salad and it was a big hit with those who like feta. 

Bev was in the mood for fish tacos the other day so we fried up some of our delicious lake crappie to go along with chopped veggies and pico gallo but I decided that I would go with the feta dressing as it was similar to some other fish sauces we had made.

The flour tortillas were a little too large to fold like a typical taco so I rolled them – with a rolled flour tortilla, I guess I actually had a burrito.  I didn’t get a shot of the fish one, but I did get some pics of the one I made with leftover grilled wild sockeye salmon.





The dressing was outstanding with both the fried fish and the salmon so it will be my go-to version for fish tacos as well as salads when I want Greek.  If you like these flavors, I’m confident you will love the dressing/sauce and it is very adaptable to your taste.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

7/17/17 Meal Date

9 comments:

  1. The dressing sure sounds interesting and your Taco/burrito looks so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried subbing Greek yogurt for the mayo, buttermilk and sour cream? We never buy sour cream any more...we even put agree yogurt on baked potatoe. You wouldn't even need to eliminate the buttermilk because that's lowfat anyway....I think!

    The fish tacos look good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I bet this is off the charts fantastic! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree about the "wang". I LOVE feta. Definitely making this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Si Tacos................................

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen to making homemade dressings. And like you, there's usually one bottle of store bought in the fridge in case of emergencies. This feta dressing sounds wonderful and I can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for finding this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Larry, Laurie is all over this homemade creamy feta dressing! Loved it and we've thought of lots of foods to use it with... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Larry, I'm with you - bottled dressings are awful. And homemade salad dressings are so easy to make, why would anyone buy bottled?! This one sounds wonderful, and as for calories or fat, well, I'd rather eat a smaller amount of something good than a larger amount of something not!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments