Sunday, September 21, 2014

Green Chile Lasagna

As soon as I saw this recipe on Heathers blog, Rocky Mountain Cooking, my first thought was this had to be tried with the roasted Hatch green chiles we had in the freezer from last fall’s western trip – Heather actually took us to the place we bought them in Denver.  





Please stop by her blog for more info about the dish and the peppers.  We adapted the recipe for what we could find at the store and what we had on hand.

Green Chile LasagnaAdapted from Rocking Mountain Cooking

Ingredients:
1½ pounds ground beef
1 cup onion, diced
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
16 oz La Palmas Green Chile Enchilada Sauce (all we could find at Walmart)
12 tostada shells made by frying corn tortillas
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese – we forgot to buy Monterrey Jack
17 whole roasted and peeled mild green chile's, sliced down the middle to make flat, stems & seeds removed
Sliced ripe olives

Instructions:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Add about a quarter inch of oil to a 12” skillet and fry two tortillas until the edges get a little brown then flip and cook until the other side is brown – about a minute per side – drain on paper towels.


3. Remove the oil from the skillet, add the ground beef and onions, and cook until the beef is cooked through.
4. Add the garlic, salt and pepper and cook for one minute.
5. Add the green chili sauce and cook for about 10 minutes - I think I cooked a little too much of the liquid out.


6. In a greased 9"x13" baking dish, place four tostada shells evenly on the bottom. Cover with the meat mixture, 6 green chiles, and cheese.




7. Repeat this process making three layers, ending with cheese.


8. Bake in the oven until the cheese is browned and bubbly.  Remove from oven and garnish with olives.  While it was plenty done, it could have baked a little longer to melt the cheese more.


9. Let sit 10 minutes before serving. 


I really enjoyed the dish but Bev said it needed some more flavor for her and we both agreed that for our tastes, 2-3 chopped jalapenos should be added to the meat mixture.  I really liked the flavor the corn tortillas brought to the party and making your own tostada shells is very easy and quick if you live where they are not readily available.  I would definitely make it again but with the jalapenos and Jack cheese next time.  Thanks Heather for a fine dinner and and even better breakfast.

I used Pam's (For The Joy Of Cooking) method for poaching the egg except mine only took 3 minutes.



Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

9/18/14 meal date

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Larry, you are THE king of breakfast. I love how you've used it for breakfast with an egg. I haven't had lasagna in a very long time. Looks delicious.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, Green Chili lasagna...! Why not?! It looks great and it's a definite change of pace. I agree...add the jalapenos and change the cheese to pop it up a bit. Bev and I are close on heat/spice tastes... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed that Chile Roasting place and so glad Heather introduced us to it. I agree, this must be made soon,it looks and sounds so delicious. How did I miss this on Heather's Blog? Heading over there to find out. I just made stacked enchiladas, somewhat similar to this but with red sauce. Love that egg on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This rocks! An easy dish to kick up the spice but surely the roasted hatch had a bit of kick, no? This owuld make a great weekend dish.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very tasty meal, especially with the poached egg on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! It looks delicious! And I bet those peppers are fantastic. A little kick is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last shot took me over the top. I absolutely adore food with Mexican flair. This one goes in my "Mexican Craving" file.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just brilliant! I'll have to make this sometime this weekend. I also want to make some brisket chile rellenos. I have all of these ideas I want to make but starting to run low on chiles (down to 1/2 of what I started with).

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments