Friday, January 28, 2011

Grilled Shrimp With Spinach And Strawberry Salad

The very restricted phase of Bev’s diet came to an end, which means she still can’t eat carbs from grains or beans, but she can have a little dairy and fat, so she requested a special dinner. She wanted grilled shrimp basted with a butter sauce so it would flare up and char them a little – “like I had at Ye Olde Steakhouse” and seasoned with blackening seasoning.

So I peeled the shrimp, dried them well, lightly sprayed with Pam, gave them a nice dusting with kicked-up Emerils Essence, which is what I use for blackening seasoning, and into the fridge for about 30 minutes. I made a simple butter sauce of:

½ stick butter
Juice from 1 lemon wedge
Dash of Worcestershire sauce

Bev never thinks I get her shrimp done enough, so I cooked them 2 minutes on side one, flipped and brushed on a coat on butter sauce, then did it again for a total cook time of 8 minutes. When I took them off, I flipped onto the plate and gave them another coat of the butter sauce. Each buttering created the required flare up which put a nice little char on them. I believe I’ve discovered a key to good grilled shrimp – throw the butter to them - we all thought they were very good.

The other day, Bev wanted to make a strawberry spinach salad and asked me to find a dressing, but they all contained oil, which she couldn’t eat yet. I finally found and made one from berries, which I was skeptical of (I lost the website address):

1 cup chopped strawberries
2 tbsp red wine vinegar (will try balsamic next time)
1/8 tsp black pepper

I tossed it all into the mini-food processor and gave it a long spin in hopes of reducing the size of the seed pieces and I thought it was pretty tasty. When Bev came home, she sampled and added another ½ - ¾ tsp of vinegar and half a packet of artificial sweetener. She liked it so well, she plans to eat it regularly, diet or not.

She likes her meat on her salad and this is her plate – she added a few chopped pecans and bleu cheese crumbles.

I’m not a fan of the strawberry salad, so mine was just greens and bleu cheese dressing – with crumbles of course.

Even though these were 15 count shrimp, I would still normally eat several more, but my little Phentermine bill ensured I was plenty full with this meal.

I finally found out how to shoot close up shots with the camera, so my pictures should improve some, as soon as I learn to steady the camera and not cast a shadow that is - these were my first two.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

9 comments:

  1. Yum, shrimp and salad - one of my favorite meals. The strawberry vinaigrette sounds good. Those XL shrimp look great Larry. Love the new pix too.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a strawberry salad and with blackened shrimp...yum. So how much weight has everyone lost? I have so many photos that come back with shadows. I don't know why I don't notice them when I'm taking the photo. I sometimes use elbows as my tripod.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok..it's settled, I'll just eat at your house from now on. Not only are your breakfasts so yummy... look at that plate... it looks wonderful! The perfect light, healthy meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum---that grilled shrimp sounds wonderful. And I would love the spinach and strawberry salad. Delicious and healthy!!!
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love shrimp, and I would have loved these.

    It's going to look weird and feel stupid, but shove your elbows together in front of your chest while holding your camera with both hands, and that will steady it. Really! Hope that helps.

    (And I love ice cream in winter, too, as does my oldest daughter. You're not weird after all!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That looks great! Looks like I know what I'm making for lunch Sunday! Thank you!
    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's funny Larry. I think Bev and I would get along really well. I like all my grill food charred too. David tries to flame and cook mine seperately. Salad dressing is a great idea. Hope you guys are staying warm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Larry, I agree with you. I liked your dinner better than Bev's... Strawberry salad!? Just too healthy for me. Still, with all of this healthy eating, you and Bev are setting a bad example for Laurie and I! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, she really DOES like them done! I knew you said that but I don't think I've ever cooked them that long. I am stealing your butter baste, perfect for shrimp!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments