Thursday, December 14, 2023

Bologna Sandwiches Revisited – Supper & Breakfast

I’ve been wanting a fried boloney (bologna) sandwich lately as I recalled the one’s we had about a year ago that were based on the one I had in Rugby TN,

Like theirs, I made mine with a thick piece of the meat.

then I had an epiphany – what makes this sandwich so special? – the fried crust that is put on the meat.  If that’s the case then the more of the crust the better, so two or three thinner slices of meat should be better than a single thick slice I surmised.  So, during a recent visit to the Food City deli, I picked up 12 slices cut to a heavy 1/8 of an inch thick.

Here are Bev and Pat’s cooking, using my non patented anti-bubble up cooking method.



I opted for three slices of boloney on mine.


The sandwich then was built with good sourdough bread, cheese, mayo, lettuce, tomato, dill pickle.


The Verdict:

It was delicious and I’m not sure I would have enjoyed a $50 restaurant meal anymore so it’s hard to feel sorry for someone who says all they get to eat is boloney sandwiches.  The girls both said they wished they had gone with three slices and the only negative was that Food City’s bologna was too small in diameter – I sure miss the Lay’s we used to get.  I will definitely stay with the thinner slices and look for some larger bologna.

And a similar preparation for breakfast but with a fried egg and the runny yolk smeared all over the bologna.

I’d be hard pressed to decide which meal I enjoyed the most.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

12/09/23 meal date

5 comments:

  1. I love fried bologna boy did this bring me back to some fond memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love a fried bologna sandwich. But being the plain person I am, all I want is the bread toasted with butter, lettuce and meat. With a sweet pickle on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, We love a good fried bologna sandwich! Never thought about using thinner slices though...almost always thick slices up to now. But you are right! The flavor pops with the frying and browned edges. Love the breakfast as well! We've been buying our bologna from Benton's. The slices are large and they'll make them as thick or thin as you want. Merry Christmas! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a fried bologna sandwich but I'm pretty sure I'd love it, especially with the crisp edges. The breakfast shot looks TASTY!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments