Sunday, August 20, 2023

Chopped Cheese Sandwiches

Our Friday group loves hamburgers and when I saw Kevin’s recipe for chopped cheese sandwiches on his "Closet Cooking" blog, I knew it would be a hit although I haven’t a clue as to how he named it.  It’s basically a cheese burger that is not formed into a patty – like a sloppy joe.  wanted some leftovers so I doubled the recipe to get the ingredients list below and I changed the cooking instructions by precooking the meat and onions then adding them back to the pan for the sandwiches.  I've shown the original instructions below.


Chopped Cheese Sandwiches – Adapted from Closet Cooking

Ingredients:

2 tablespoon oil (or butter or lard)

2 c. onion, diced

2 lbs. ground beef

1 tsp. garlic powder

salt and pepper to taste

2 tbsp. soy sauce (optional)

2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (optional)

8 slices cheese, I used cheddar and pepper jack

Hoagies/buns/rolls, cut in half (optionally toasted)

Mayonnaise

Shredded lettuce

Tomato, thinly sliced

4 teaspoons hot sauce (optional)

Directions:

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes, before setting aside.

2. Place the ground beef into the pan, press it down into the pan, sprinkle on the garlic powder, salt and pepper and let it cook until the bottom turns a deep golden brown, about 5-8 minutes.

3. Flip the beef, press it into the pan, and cook until deep golden brown, about 5-8 minutes.

4. Chop the beef to break it apart, add the onion, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce, and cook until the beef is cooked.

5. Place the slices of cheese on top and let it melt before turning off the heat.

6. Divide the chopped cheese beef between the hoagie rolls, along with the mayo, lettuce, tomato, and hot sauce, and enjoy!

This is mine - I had to put the lettuce back on when I picked it up.

The Verdict:

As to be expected from a Kevin recipe, I thought it was very good but Bev said she preferred a regular hamburger so I guess I’ll get to eat the leftovers.

I began with this for a delicious breakfast – I thinned and shortened the bun for less bread.  It only needed one giant Leghorn Chicken egg.





Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

8/18/23 meal date

6 comments:

  1. Your 'egg' breakfast really sounds good!!!!! I'm like Bev... I prefer my burger the 'normal' way!!!! Hugs, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, This is similar to the "loose meat" sandwiches from Iowa...aka "Maid-Rite" sandwiches. I'll stick with a more traditional burger although your breakfast looks excellent! Waste not, want not! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had a chopped cheese sandwich before. I was hoping for a breakfast with the leftovers. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not the first time I've heard about chopped cheese sandwiches over the last couple of months. I've been meaning to Google them to see what they're all about. They look good. And of course love the breakfast egg leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had this type of sandwich before and I think it looks really tasty. I'm happy to see the leftovers were topped with a yolky egg!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments