Friday, February 24, 2023

A Corned Beef Day - Hash & A New Reuben Making Process

While at the Food City deli counter this week, I opted to buy some thick sliced corned beef to make into hash for breakfast but when I got home, I recalled a part loaf of marbled rye bread in the freezer.  So rather than make all of the meat into hash, I decided to have hash and eggs for breakfast and Reuben sandwiches for supper.

The hash was a simple mixture of diced onions, parboiled cubed potatoes, and diced corned beef. 

Above is my breakfast which includes the banana (potassium) I eat each day to help with cramps and below is the manufacturing process -  I think I had a few too many potatoes for the meat amount.  I used all but the center section of two slices for the hash.




Reuben

Did you know that "According to Omaha lore, the Reuben Sandwich was dreamed up at Omaha's Blackstone Hotel in 1925 by Reuben Kulakofsky, a local grocer, to feed a group of late-night poker players."

Normally we make Reubens by assembling the sandwich then grilling it on each side – flipping it can be difficult.  So this time I tried a different method.

Spread each slice of bread with the 1000 island dressing.

Cut the corned beef to fit the bread and top with Guggisberg Baby Swiss Cheese and homemade kraut from the local Mennonite market and nuke until the cheese is melted and the kraut is hot. I actually nuked them one at a time.

While the above is bring nuked, on a griddle on in a pan, melt and spread butter to the size of the bread (I just open the end of a butter stick and rub it around the pan to the amount I want) and lay the dry side of the bread on the butter and cook until nicely browned.

Plate a slice of the grilled bread, top with the meat/cheese/kraut and cap with the other slice of bread.  This is Bev’s.

The Verdict:

Both meals were very good but the deli corned beef, which appears to be bottom round, it not as tasty and has a different texture than corned beef brisket purchased raw and cooked at home.  As for the sandwich making technic, it worked great as each step took 1½ minutes so the bread and filling were both piping hot when assembled.  It was way easier than trying to flip the whole sandwich and it ensured everything was cooked just right.  This will be my new go-to method for grilled sandwiches, except cheese.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

02/19/23 meal date

7 comments:

  1. Yay for corned beef season. Now I'm craving a reuben.I like your microwave method before hitting the skillet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Larry. Love a good hash, and love Rueben sandwiches. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, I do like corned beef hash and eggs...however, we rarely have it as Laurie isn't crazy about corned beef, preferring roast beef hash and eggs. I can't call my Reuben's a "Reuben" as I use a spicy mustard instead of Thousand Island Dressing. I'll have to try making my next Reuben like yours with that one aberration...like the grilling effect combined with nuking everything first! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is almost March and time to put some corned beef in the instant pot and freeze for some hash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It figures that your corned beef is better than the deli's version. I have a sudden craving for eggs & hash AND a Reuben. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments