Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Spaghetti For A Cold Super Bowl Sunday & Delicious Breakfast

We hadn’t hosted a super bowl party in many years and decided we should not let this one go by, so we invited a few friends over (our normal Friday group) but for a variety of reasons, almost no one could attend so we cancelled the party. 

So, since we hadn’t seen Eliza in a while, we invited her family to come down for the afternoon and a supper of Sausage Bean Chowder, which we hadn’t made in quite some time.  But, on Friday, Wende called to advise that they all had Covid (except Eliza) so they also would not be coming over. 

So, two friends came over for a game of cards, we built a fire, and cooked spaghetti and meatballs (Bev’s from the freezer) for supper then watched the game. 

So, the whole day required way less effort and meal prep was very easy.  It would have been perfect had the other team kicked a last second field goal to win the game.

We sided the spaghetti with a salad (forgot pic) for which I made an Italian vinaigrette using a slightly amended recipe from a source I failed to write down (complete failure for a blog post).  The Italians in my home town made their vinaigrette tangy, which I like, so I omitted the honey plus I omitted the Parmesan & pepper flakes and added them directly to the salad.  I tripled the ingredients to get the recipe below and it made a full cruet.  I also I gave the herbs a spin in the spice grinder.  

Italian Viniagrette

Ingredients:

3/4 teaspoon dried basil

3/4 teaspoon dried oregano

3/4 teaspoon dried parsley

3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary

3/8 teaspoon dried thyme

3/16 teaspoon fennel seeds

1/8 teaspoon celery seeds

3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

3/8 cup red wine vinegar

12 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

3 teaspoons honey (vegans: use liquid sweetener)

3/4 teaspoon garlic powder

3/4 teaspoon onion powder

3/4 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika

3/8 teaspoon sea salt

3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

3/16 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Directions:

1. Place herbs in a spice grinder and blend for about 30 seconds. 

2. Add all ingredients to a salad dressing cruet and shake well.  

3. The flavor of this dressing improves over time as the oils are released from the herbs and the flavors have time to meld. 

Those of us who ate it thought it was a definite keeper recipe.

Breakfast

Bev recently found a couple of inch thick tomahawk pork chops on sale and picked them up for breakfast.  I just fried them in oil to an internal temp of 140F and sided them with cheesy scrambled eggs for a delicious breakfast.

I would have preferred thinner chops so they would have cooked a little faster but they were worth the wait.  I seasoned one side with S&P and the other with pepper and Tiger Seasoning, cooked to 140F internal temp and they were delicious.

Final Toe Update

I’m out of the boot and into a shoe and therapy ends this week so the toes are behind me and with two new hips, two new knees, and repaired toes, I’m pretty well bionic below the waist and I hope I’m forever done with surgeries.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

02/12/23 meal date

4 comments:

  1. I've heard that sauce was delicious ... looks like a great day. Glad you've gotten better and the boot is off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Wende and family are feeling better. The spaghetti looks tasty & the Italian vinaigrette sounds very flavorful! So glad you are feeling much better and have all of those surgeries behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, Sounds like a great vinaigrette recipe...our favorite types of salad dressing (other than good blue cheese for me). Love the look of that pork chop breakfast! My kind of wake-up meal... Glad to hear that you're healed and are ready to hit the road! I still have one knee that could use some attention but I'm still mobile. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. "the other team" ????? You have to remember I was a KC fan way before I was a Bronco fan. It was such a great game to watch, no matter who won. This meal looks wonderful. I made spaghetti and meatballs with Rao's a couple weeks ago. I'm convinced it's the best. And as you know, I'm a big on pork chops for breakfast. I've never bought a tomahawk steak or chop. However, Tony's had a sale on Berkshire pork chops yesterday. I bought two thick and two thin. Our dinner was delicious, and leftovers for breakfast this morning (we cooked the thick last night) with scrambled eggs were outstanding. Started following you by subscribing RSS feed .... so will be a more consistent commenter now.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments