Friday, January 20, 2023

Balsamic Steak Bites and Pasta Skillet Dinner

When I saw the photos and recipe for Balsamic Steak Bitesand Gnocchi Skillet Dinner on Debbie’s “A Feast For The Eyes” blog, I knew it had to be tried soon.  I followed the recipe with two changes – I used pasta as Bev doesn’t like gnocchi and I used the 1¼ pounds of beef tenderloin trimmings we had in the freezer.  Click on the link above for Debbie’s original recipe and some great finished and how-to pics.  I just took a few because hers look much better.

Balsamic Steak Bites and Pasta Skillet DinnerAdapted from A Feast For The Eyes

Ingredients:

For the marinade:

¼ cup olive oil

¼ cup balsamic vinegar

¼ cup Worcestershire sauce

¼ cup soy sauce

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1 pinch salt and pepper to taste

For the skillet dinner:

1 lb. small shell pasta (I cooked it all but only used about half)

1¼ lbs. beef tenderloin

1 lb. cremini mushrooms sliced thick

1 medium onion (I used some scallion white parts plus a half onion)

4 Tbsp. unsalted butter cut into equal sized pats

1 clove garlic minced

1 Tbsp. fresh parsley minced; garnish

¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions:

For the marinade:

1. In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients together. Set aside.

2. Dice the steak into bite-sized pieces, trimming off any excess fat or sinew.



3. Add the steak into the marinade to coat evenly. NOTE: Likewise, you can pour the marinade into a zip-loc bag and add the steak.

4. Marinate for at least an hour in the refrigerator or up to 8 hours (7½ hours for mine).

Skillet dinner instructions:

5. Bring the steak to room temperature about 30 minutes before cooking dinner. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon, leaving as much marinade behind as you can. To get a good sear, you don't want the meat to be really wet. I like to blot the meat, gently, with a paper towel.

6. Bring a pot of lightly salted water to boil, and cook the gnocchi (or pasta) per the package instructions. Drain.

7. Using a cast-iron skillet (non-stick is not recommended) melt 2 Tbsp. butter on medium-high heat.

8. Add the steak bites, without crowding them together (do this in two batches if necessary). Sear for one minutes, and flip over with tongs.

9. Remove the steak to a plate, and set aside.

10. Add 1 Tbsp. butter and add the onion and mushrooms, and cook until softened and browned (about 3-5 minutes.). Add the garlic (if using).

11. Add the last Tbsp of butter, and the drained gnocchi (or pasta) to the skillet.

12. Add the seared steak, and any juices to the skillet.

13. Turn off the heat, and stir to combine evenly.

14. Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

In addition to freezer diving, I’m also trying to clean out the pantry so we sided the meat with some canned green beans with a "best if used by date" of July 2018.  While they were still fine, this tells me I need to be more serious about turning over our inventory.


The Verdict:

We thought it was very good but not great as we are not big balsamic vinegar fans except on salads, but if you are, I think you would find this dish delicious and even better if you like gnocchi (which I do).  But the pasta also worked just fine and it was a prefect use of the tenderloin trimmings.  I definitely want to make it again but with a different marinade.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

01/17/23 meal date

4 comments:

  1. Larry, I love the fact that you are continuously trying new recipes... We are about the opposite. Last night it was Braunschweiger sandwiches. The other day we had fried bologna and corn on the cob. Color us just plain lazy! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks tasty. My family really enjoys vinegar so I have a feeling it would be a big hit here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a fan of balsamic, so pretty sure I'd like this one. I thought I was the only person who didn't like gnocchi.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments