Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Roasted Lemon Pepper Herb Chicken Thighs Ala Pam

When I recently saw Pam’s recipe for Roasted Lemon Pepper ChickenThighs With Lemon Wine Pan Sauce on her “For The Love Of Cooking” blog, I knew it had to be tried.  And when I did the math to count the calories for the entire dish and discovered it was only 366 kcal per serving, I decided I could eat it on my diet - with only one week and a few pounds to go.  

I followed Pam’s recipe as shown below but when making her lemon pepper herb blend, I gave it a quick spin in the spice grinder to help release more flavor from the dried herbs and boy did it ever smell potent.  Also, I salted the chicken directly rather than adding it to the spice blend.

Roasted Lemon Pepper Herb Chicken Thighs

The Ingredients:

2 tbsp lemon pepper herb dry rub, go to Pam's site, link above

5 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on

2 tbsp butter, divided

1 tbsp flour

¼ cup white wine

Juice from 1 lemon (2-3 tbsp)

2 cloves of garlic, minced

1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

The Instructions:

1. Make the lemon pepper herb dry rub 

2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

3. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.

4. Season both sides of the chicken thighs evenly with the lemon pepper herb dry rub, to taste.

5. Add the chicken thighs to the HOT pan, skin side down, and cook for 4 minutes, or until the skin is golden brown and flips easily.

6. Flip the chicken over and place it into the preheated oven. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.

7. Remove from the oven and use tongs to remove the chicken from the skillet to a plate. Set aside in a 175F toaster oven.

8. Place the skillet and the chicken juices on the stove over medium-high heat. You should have about 1/4 cup of pan juices, if not, add 1/4 cup chicken broth.

9. Heat until boiling then add the flour and cook, whisking until well combined.

10. Add the wine, lemon juice, and minced garlic. Cook, while whisking constantly, for 1 minute.

11. Add the parsley and remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Whisk until well combined.


12. Taste the sauce and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste, if needed.

13. Plate the chicken and spoon sauce over the top.

14. Or you can add the chicken thighs skin side up along with the juices from the plate back to the pan and get a enticing Pam shot.

The Verdict:

I thought it was delicious and I will make it again but I may put the spices under the skin.  My chicken breast preferring wife would have rather had boneless, skinless thighs and so it will be for her next time – I can de-bone those babies pretty quick.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

04/04/22 event date

4 comments:

  1. Seasoning under the skin is a terrific idea!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe and that it was healthy enough for you to make before the surgery. My kids prefer boneless thighs like Bev but I think the bones add so much flavor. Thanks for the shoutout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, this is a wonderful recipe. I am a big fan of chicken thighs. A few extra calories but, so much more flavor than breasts. Beautiful dish.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, Love this recipe and those chicken thighs look great! My side salad would have to consist of iceberg lettuce and tomato given my meds and, not being carb restricted I'd add a bit of rice to soak up that sauce. Wishing you the best on your upcoming surgery... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. the perfect char on those, I am sure they were super tender too and flavorful!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments