Sunday, April 10, 2022

Chicken Tacos With Mango Pico De Gallo

When we recently had steak and chicken fajitas, I mentioned the marinated chicken should work well for tacos as well and I thought it would be a good for our Friday get together.  So, I made up another batch of the marinade for the chicken along with the Mango Pico De Gallo that Chef Lea Ann recently posted on Her Highlands Ranch Foodie blog.  I followed her recipe below with my comments in ( ) and we got to use our new mango slicer that Lea Ann recommended and told how to use in her post - Bev loved it.

Just as last time, the chicken was Jaccarded and given a nine hour soak in the marinade and the Pico De Gallo was made in the morning to give the flavors plenty of time to marry.

Mango Pico De Gallo – Lightly adapted from Highlands Ranch Foodie

The Ingredients:

2 medium tomatoes diced. About 1 cup (we used grape tomatoes)

½ cup sweet onion, diced

2 medium jalapeno, diced (we served it on the side)

1 tablespoon minced garlic (I smashed it with the side of a knife)

1 medium mango peeled and chopped

Juice of 1 lime (2 tbsp.)

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

¼ teaspoon Mexican oregano (I rubbed it it my palm with a finger)

Salt, pepper, sugar to taste (No sugar for us)

The Instructions:

1. Prepare all of the ingredients by chopping.

2. Mix well the lime juice, garlic, and oregano.

3. In a large bowl mix all ingredients together. Taste and adjust any ingredients and flavors.

I removed the chicken from the fridge an hour prior to grilling and cooked to an internal temp around 160F.

For the tacos, we used both soft flour and hard-shell corn tortillas (with flat bottoms so that stood up) and had only the mango salsa for topping.  I wish someone would have made two tacos for a better pic.

The Verdict:

Since the chicken and the pico de gallo were both very good, the tacos couldn’t miss and they did not as everyone enjoyed them. 

We used the leftover pico on grilled salmon and it worked very well again.  I had broken down a whole beef tenderloin and Bev collected some of the larger pieces, wrapped them in bacon to make small steaks so she had one of those and a smaller piece of salmon along with steamed asparagus and loved them all.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

04/07/22 event date

3 comments:

  1. I love mango pico de gallo & I just happen to have a mango in the fridge. The tacos look super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a pro at mangling a mango. And that mango slicer is a life saver for me. Glad Bev liked using it. It sure saves me a lot of headache. I've only made that pico once, for a specific recipe and look forward to making it all summer long to serve over chicken and salmon, just like you have.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments