Thursday, April 28, 2022

Asparagus Frittata with Goat Cheese

The other day, I mentioned that blogger Marcie from Flavor Of The Moment had posted an asparagus frittata recipe and we decided to give it a try for this meal – we had both asparagus and goat cheese on hand but no fresh tarragon so I used dried.

Asparagus Frittata with Goat Cheese

The Ingredients:

1½ tbsp. olive oil divided

½ lb. asparagus (after trimming for me) cut into 1” pieces

1/8 cup onion (added by Larry)

1 clove garlic minced

8 large eggs

¼ c. milk

1 tsp. freshly chopped tarragon (I used 1/3 tsp. dried, rubbed & rehydrated in the milk for 15 minutes)

½ tsp. kosher salt

¼ tsp. black pepper

½ c. crumbled goat cheese

The Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a 9" ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the asparagus and cook until crisp tender, about 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more. Reserve the asparagus tips for the top of the frittata if desired.

3. While the asparagus cooks, whisk together the eggs, milk, tarragon, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.

4. Brush the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil generously around the sides of the pan. Pour in the egg mixture and top with the asparagus tips and dot with the goat cheese. Continue cooking over medium heat until the bottom has just begun to set.

5. Place the frittata in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until set. Remove from heat and cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!


The Verdict:

Bev, Cindy and I all thought it was very good with the goat cheese acting as good compliment to the mild, fresh asparagus - you just can’t beat fresh from the garden asparagus and I have to feel a little sorry for those who only have access to the store-bought version.

I believe I preferred the recent Greek fritatta as it had more cheese and I’m a big fan of the tangier feta cheese.  Bev’s suggestion was that this one could be a little creamier so next time I’ll add ½ cup heavy cream to the eggs.

Hip Update

Went for my two week follow-up visit on Tuesday, bandage was removed, and incision looked great.  Only experiencing a little achiness and taking no pain meds.  Therapy is progressing well and I've asked them to speed me along as quick as possible.  The next break through moment will be moving from a walker to a cane, then hopefully being able to put on my own socks.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

04/26/22 event date

3 comments:

  1. Larry, Glad to hear that the healing process is going well! Keep up those therapeutic exercises and success will be yours! I imagine that you're looking forward to getting back on the road again too... I sure do miss being able to eat asparagus... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are healing nicely. Another tasty frittata! I love eggs with asparagus so I'm sure this would be tasty to me.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments