I’m a big fan of this dish from Chef Lea Ann’s HighlandsRanch Foodie blog and have enjoyed it several times but the last time I made it, I decided I wanted to try something different next time. When it’s made as an entire head, all of the flavor is on the outside and much of the head is eaten as just steamed cauliflower but I wanted to get a bite of the tangy, cheesy topping into every bite by making it as a casserole. I used the same basic ingredients, with increased amounts, but chopped the cauliflower into smaller pieces with a knife. The original recipe can be found by clicking on the above link and this is how it looks.
Tangy Mustard Cauliflower – Adapted from Highlands Ranch Foodie
1 head cauliflower rinsed
2 tablespoons water
¾ cup mayonnaise
4 teaspoon onion — finely chopped
1½ teaspoon prepared mustard (your favorite)
Shredded cheddar (or your favorite cheese) to cover the top
After adding the cauliflower to the right sized casserole dish, I discovered that it would not work in my micro wave so my choices were to leave it in the dish and bake in the oven or transfer to a round bowl to nuke it. Since I wanted to stick with it being a nuked dish, I transferred it to a bowl to nuke then put it in the casserole and finished it in the toaster oven.
1. Chop cauliflower into bite-sized pieces.
2. Combine mayonnaise, onion, and mustard in small mixing bowl and blend into a smooth sauce.
3. Add the water to a large bowl and add cauliflower.
4. Cover with plastic and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or to your desired crispness level.
5. Once the cauliflower has completed its cook in the microwave, dump it into the casserole dish, season with S&P, and brush the sauce evenly on top of cauliflower.
6. Spread your desired amount of cheese over the top and cook uncovered in the toaster oven (broiler) until the cheese is melted.
While not as simple or fast as the original recipe and requiring an additional dish and appliance, I thought it was delicious and accomplished my goal of getting some dressing and cheese in every bite and I will definitely make it again. The fish is coming in the next post.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.
03/20/22 event date