Friday, October 29, 2021

John Wayne Casserole

This dish had been on my radar since Pam posted it back in February on her now closed Pam’s Midwest Kitchen Korner blog.  With a dish named after a big favorite of mine and with fall weather here, it seemed like the perfect time to give it a try.  Pam’s post also included some interesting info about “The Duke” as well as pics of the dish.  

John Wayne Casserole

The Ingredients:

2 pounds ground beef, cooked and drained

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 teaspoon each:  garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1 large white onion, chopped

2 (10 ounces) cans Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained

1 green bell pepper, chopped

For the BISCUIT LAYER:

3 cups Bisquick mix

1 cup water

For the Topping:

1 (7.5 ounces) Philadelphia cream cheese with chives and onions

1 cup sour cream

1 tablespoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups shredded cheese, combo of cheddar and pepper jack

The Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°.   Spray a 13x9" glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.  Set aside.

2. Sauté ground beef in large skillet, crumbling it as it cooks, drain grease when cooked.

3. To meat, add chili powder and remaining seasonings, blend well.

4. Add onions, Rotel tomatoes, and bell pepper to skillet; reduce heat, stir well, cook for 2-3 minutes until tender, remove from heat and set aside.

5. Mix Bisquick with water in a mixing bowl, stir until sticky dough forms.

6. Spread dough over bottom of baking dish evenly.

7. Layer ground beef mixture on dough and spread out evenly.

8. Into a mixing bowl, add sour cream, cream cheese, onion powder and salt, cream together with an electric mixer until smooth.

9. Spoon the sour cream mixture on top of the ground beef mixture in the baking dish, and spread out evenly.

10. Sprinkle cheddar and mozzarella cheese on top  (We put the cheese on at the 20 minute mark).

11. Bake in oven for about 45 minutes until heated through.


12. Remove from oven, allow to sit for a few minutes, slice and serve.

The Verdict:

I thought it was delicious and if it was a John Wayne favorite, I can see why – Bev thought it was just okay.  I would make it again but will cut the Bisquick layer in half or eliminate it for a keto-friendly version.  The dish had a nice little kick which could be eliminated by using mild Rotel and no-heat chili powder.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

10/25/21 event date

3 comments:

  1. This is exactly the type of casserole that I can easily make a pig of myself. I'd love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, John Wayne was one of my favorites too...and I do like casseroles. Too bad that Pam gave up blogging but there are times that I truly understand the move. I guess that I'm hooked on the research even if few read what I write. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom sure loved John Wayne and I have a feeling I would love this casserole!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments