Monday, May 31, 2021

Pan-Seared Crusted Seasoned Salmon With Mango Salsa

We like salmon (except Pat) and the girls are big fans of mango so when I saw this recipe on the Ask Chef Dennis blog, I knew it had to be tried.  Since I had three pieces of salmon, I increased the spices by 50% and I doubled the salsa to accommodate the two pieces of chicken that I was cooking for the non salmon eaters.  You can click on the above link for the original recipe and pics.

Pan-Seared Crusted Seasoned Salmon With Mango Salsa – Adapted from Ask Chef Dennis

Ingredients:

Seasoned Salmon

3 salmon fillets 6-7 ounces each

3 tbsp panko breadcrumbs or your favorite bread crumb

1½ tsp chili powder

1½ tsp brown sugar

¾ tsp paprika

¾ tsp granulated garlic

¾ tsp granulated onion

¼ tsp black pepper, rounded

¾ tsp salt (note 1)

Mango Salsa

1 cup mango small dice

1 cup pineapple small dice

½ cup red onion small dice

2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped

juice from one lime

Notes:  I had to salt my salmon quite a bit after cooking so next time, I will salt the salmon directly and omit it from the spice mixture.

Instructions:

Mango Salsa – Make a couple hours ahead of time.

1. Cut the mango, pineapple and red onion into a small dice.

2. Finely chop the cilantro.

3. Mix everything together in a small bowl with the juice from the lime.

4. The salsa can be stored for up to 24 hours. It will start to get soft right away so the sooner it's used the better

Seasoned Salmon

5. Blend the seasonings and breadcrumbs together. Place the prepared seasoning mix on a plate

6. Place the salmon in the seasoning blend, making sure to fully coat the non-skin side of the salmon fillets.

7. If the fillets aren't fully coated when you turn them over, use the seasoning that didn't stick to the fillets to fill in the spots, pressing it down into the salmon.

8. Heat a saute pan over high heat, then (carefully) add 1-2 teaspoons of vegetable oil to the pan. Turn the heat down to medium-high and place the coated salmon fillets seasoned side down in the pan.

9. Once you've seared the salmon on the seasoned side, continue cooking the skin side down for an additional 5-7 minutes over medium heat. If you prefer a less cooked salmon, you can cut down that cooking time. After flipping, I added a lid to the pan to cook my thick fish pieces to 125F.


10. Plate and top with salsa.

We sided it with a salad but no starch and the shot at the top is my picture-plate.

And this is my plate as I ate it with much more salsa followed by Cindy's plate.

The Verdict:

We all thought the salmon and the salsa were very good and the crusted fish was much different than the ways we have prepared salmon in the past.  The girls especially oohed and aahed and the salsa worked very well on the chicken breasts which were seasoned with Emeril’s Essence and sauteed.

We are working through our salmon supply and other meats we had stored up during the pandemic – I can now see the back inside wall of the freezer.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

5/25/21 event dates

4 comments:


  1. The perfect addition to my mango collection, I just love it and have been cooking up a storm with this fruit thanks! looks and sound fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, Those are some beautiful salmon filets...love the crust! Glad to see that your sticking with that low carb diet! Hip repairs will be forthcoming and then you'll be able to get back on the road. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're in the same boat here. That freezer stash is dwindling and more manageable. For some reason I like Pat's idea of the salsa on Chicken rather than salmon. Sounds so fresh and Summery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fruit salsa with fish & chicken. The whole meal looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments