I had been wanting to make a Chinese dish with cashews so when Sil, Pat, gave us a jar of the nuts, I went in search of a recipe. The one I chose was in my recipe file and it is Cashew Chicken from the very reliable Kevin on his Closet Cooking blog. Since I had 1½ pounds of chicken and wanted leftovers, I increased the ingredient amounts to get the one below. Click on the link for the original recipes and more pics like this.
I often post a pic from the site the recipe came from because they are often from food bloggers who make it a priority to get good shots of their dishes, whereas I’m just getting a few shots of the food before it gets cold – their shots show what my dishes should look like.
Cashew Chicken – adapted from Closet Cooking
4½ tablespoons honey
4½ tablespoons (low sodium) soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1½ tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon chill sauce (such as sambal oelek or sriracha)
3/8 cup (low sodium) chicken broth
1½ tablespoon cornstarch
1½ tablespoon oil
1½ pound boneless and skinless chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
6 green onions, thinly sliced and divided between white and green
1 red pepper, chopped
½ cup peas, thawed
1½ tablespoon garlic, grated
1½ tablespoon ginger, grated
1½ cup cashews, (lightly salted worked fine)
1½ tablespoon sesame oil
1½ tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1. Mix the honey, soy sauce, vinegar, hoisin sauce, chili sauce, broth and cornstarch and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet/wok over medium-high heat, add the chicken and saute, about 6 minutes.
3. Add the whites of the onions, pepper, garlic and ginger to the pan and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Add the sauce mixture and saute, until the sauce thickens a bit, about 1-2 minutes.
5. Mix in the cashews, peas, sesame oil, sesame seeds and the greens of the onions.
6. Plate and enjoy.
As expected for a Kevin recipe, we all thought it was very good. I served it with white rice because it seems to always come with Chinese food, but it added nothing to the meal for me and took up valuable stomach space that I would have rather filled with the Cashew Chicken so I will remember this for future meals.
Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.
1/5/21 event date