Tuesday, January 28, 2014

2014 Florida Trip – Lunch With The Hoffers

Do you know how you can tell when a friendship is developing – when someone is willing to drive clear across the state to have lunch with you.  So it was with Meakin and Sam (My CarolinaKitchen) who drove from Ft. Myers across the Florida to Jupiter for lunch with us at the

They had lived in the area at one point and knew the places to go so we were more than willing just to be where they told us to be.  The Food Shack is located in a strip mall and would be very easy to ignore from the outside.





This is the still closed bar area and the dining room.


The main dining area.


The place has a regular and daily specials menus each of which has too many choices and while Meakin and Sam had their usual’s, it was more difficult for us and I went with the suggestion of the hostess.  Some of us started with a delicious conch chowder but I only got shots of three meals:

Meakin's Panko Fried Oysters over greens,spicy fruit, and gorganzola.


Bev's Plate of the Day - Blackened Red Snapper.  Beer battered gulf shrimp. Creole rice w/ andouille sausage, celery, poblano pepper, onion, and Cajun spices and sweet potato veggie dijon slaw.



My Sweet Potato Crusted Red Snapper on a bed of greens, green beans, mango, tomato, onion & garlic lime dressing.



Pat had the Blackened Fish Taco with mango, avocado, cheddar cheese, and Mexican street corn salsa and Sam had the Fried Tuna Basil Roll w/ wasabi dipping sauce.


Another fine time with the Hoffer's


I thought my meal was very good and I would definitely go to the Food Shack again.  Thanks Sam and Meakin for the restaurant selection and for making the drive to meet up with us.

After lunch, we drove up the coast, past some fine homes, to Stuart before heading home along a road (County 714) with tunnels of trees.  Photo by Dave Ward.


Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

1/22/14 event date

12 comments:

  1. What a fun day we had with you guys and I'm so glad you liked the Food Shack. I think it's the best seafood joint on the planet. You really got some great pictures too. I had to smile at the wooden hand painted sign behind Meakin's head - "pirates for hire."

    So glad you have a photo of that lovely drive back to Okeechobee from Stuart. We've been on that road and that gorgeous tunnel of trees is so surprising to find when you all of a sudden turn and it's there. Thank you again for a great day and it's always good to see you guys.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so very nice of them to come from so far away.. but that's what good people do for each other, isn't it? :)
    Looks like everyone had an absolutely delicious meal.... makes me hungry just looking at the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last photo reminds me of what "old" Florida looks like. Thanks for that memory! Glad y'all enjoyed the lunch...it looks all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hole in the wall diners. They are the best! The tunnel of trees is really pretty. Much prettier than my tunnel of frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, Nice food photos! Not just your average diner/food shack, that's for sure! Love the tree lined country road... Snowing with accumulation today with a high in the 20s. First measurable snow of the winter at our house! As for my Alberta trip blogs, there is only one more...on February 3rd...and the trip will be over! Wise move staying in FL another week! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope this doesn't mean that you are HOME already... It's bitter cold --and you should still be in FL!!!!!!! ha

    Your meals sound fantastic --all of them. I used to eat a lot of Blackened Grouper at a fav. restaurant in Sarasota when I lived in that area.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good friends, good food, nothing's better! What a fun time for all of you. I love the last pic, esp. because it's FL, but also because everything here is white.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so terrific! A great lunch with great friends - nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum - all of the food looks delicious to me! Those pictures are making me hungry.

    I love the last shot of the tree tunnels - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like ya'll had a great time and the lunch looks fabulous, especially the oysters! I want to eat there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful that you all got together again! Great friends, great food :) I like the bigger photos and your new format!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every plate of food looks delicious! How fun to have lunch with Sam and Meakin! And I love that new header photo.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments