Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Southwestern Scramble & A Blogger Party



After fun events the two previous years, Katherine Aucoin, Chris Grove, and Larry Doolittle are pleased that we will be able to host a blogger party again this year.  The date we’ve selected is May 27 – we realize this is Memorial Day weekend and thought the extra day for travel might make it easier for some to be here.

The event will once again be held at Bev and Larry’s home near Greenback, Tn. and the menu will be a crawfish and shrimp boil – if you’re not a shellfish eater, come anyway and we’ll grill you something.  Unlike previous times, we’ll be asking for a donation to help with the meat costs.

We’ll send out more details in early April but wanted to get on your calendar now.  We’ll be asking for an RSVP later, but so we can start our planning, please let Larry know now if you think you might join us – email grandpop1@yahoo.com.  Also please feel free to publicize this on your blog to reach more potential attendees.  We hope you can join us.

THE SCRAMBLE
We had several things in the fridge that needed to be used and we’d just had Southwestern for supper the previous night, so I decided to do it again for breakfast.

Ingredients:
Green onion bottom – it had over wintered in the garden
Plumb tomatoes – about to go bad
Shitaki mushroom – picked off my log the previous day
Fresh cilantro – starting to yellow
Sweet peppers – left from supper
Diced smoked sausage – mild and hot
3 eggs
Half and half – about a tbsp.
Dash of cumin
Dash of garlic powder
S&P
Mix of cheeses - left from supper plus some cheddar
Aleppo pepper flakes
Podunk sauce – left from supper

Directions:
Beat hard the eggs, dairy, cumin, cilantro, S&P

Add everything else to a skillet with olive oil over medium low heat (for our cooktop) and sauté until softened.

Pour in the egg mixture and slowly fold into moist curds.

Plate, sprinkle on some Aleppo pepper, add a little Podunk sauce, and serve with warm tortillas.

All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

One year ago:  Leftovers From The Prime Rib Dinner

Two years ago:  Chicken Fried Steak And Cream Gravy

Larry

2/29/12  meal date

16 comments:

  1. I've put the date on the calendar and we'll be there, so count the two of us in. Love shellfish of all kinds - great idea.

    You should write a book about scrambled eggs Larry. Your ideas are endless and always exciting and flavorful.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! I'm so jealous of your meet-up! I wish you all lived closer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh... I so want to meet up with you guys this year! I'm going to see what I can do to make that happen.. it just doesn't seem right that I miss another blogger party!

    Oh.. and the scramble... YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man I wish I could come. Seems like my travel plans are on hold with uncertainties with my mom. Loving those aleppo pepper flakes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice stuff, and cool idea having a blogger party

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Larry, The scramble looks delicious.. Thanks for sharing.

    I put the Blogger Party date on my calendar --and hope that we can get there this year...
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I lived close enough and could attend your party, Larry. I would love to meet you, Bev and the others. Maybe next year. My daughter has a home in Nashville so it isn't an impossible idea. Fun to think about anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You KNOW this one has me drooling. That is my kind of meal!!!

    It looks like my old blogger url won't work anymore. Just wondering if you are getting my updates in your feeds?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to have breakfast at your house! It would be so much fun to be able to join you in May. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I lived closer! The shrimp and crawfish boil sounds amazing - just like all of your scramble dishes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your scramble looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would love to attend your party, if possible, and with boiled shrimp and crawfish on the menu, I'd feel right at home. :)

    Great looking breakfast, as usual, and I agree that you should write a breakfast cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to come to your party, but I know it won't work out this year. sounds like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Larry, Another blogger party...Great!! It's on our calendar. We'll be there... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave & Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect!!! My last day of school is May 22nd!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know what the great thing is about cooking this at home?

    Breakfast at a diner with the "build your own omelet" deal you pay an extra $.75 per ingredient so this would cost you something like $15 but at home you can do it for under $5....and 10 times the flavor and none of the attitude from the service staff ;)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments