Friday, March 30, 2012

Shrimp With Mango Salsa


It’s funny how a meal can evolve from the need to use a single ingredient and for this meal it was an aging mango.  Bev said we need to use the mango and I suggested grilled shrimp with mango salsa – she jumped at that.  Since we were grilling and having something sweet, I opted for grilled sweet potato as a side and since it’s asparagus time in Tennessee, we grilled up some of it as well.

Bev made a salsa from the mango using the recipe from Ellie Krieger of the Food Network

Ingredients
1 mango, peeled and diced
1/2 cup peeled, diced cucumber
1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno
1/3 cup diced red onion
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
Salt and pepper

Directions
Combine the mango, cucumber, jalapeno, red onion, lime juice and cilantro leaves and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

We used Home BBQ’s Mango Magic on the shrimp, potatoes, and asparagus and didn't care for it, but the salsa was delicious.

All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

3/26/12  meal date

15 comments:

  1. What a pretty looking plate - loaded with delicious food. An inspired dinner from Larry and Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made something very similar to this dish.. it is fantastic. It's like the mango and shrimp were made for each other!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so disappointing when you try something and it doesn't meet your expectations.... We like a good mango salsa and this one looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good - I love the combination of flavors. You ever been to Beech Bottom? Wellsburg, Follansbee, Weirton, Wheeling, Martin's Ferry, Youngstown? Yeah me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had grilled chicken with mango salsa last night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Larry, That dish looks delicious.. I love mango-anything... We've been busy working in the yard 24/7 these past couple of weeks. Not sure when we'll get to your house --but hopefully we will sometime.

    Have a great weekend.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks and sounds yummy! Now I know what to do with the shrimp in the freezer if and when it ever gets warm enough to go out and grill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Larry, Nice looking dinner plate...with more of that great tasting asparagus. It's a healthy meal too! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a colorful and well put together plate! I'm going to have to go buy some asparagus, you're making me crave it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grilled shrimp is my favorite and paired with the mango salsa and aspargus, would have to be fabulous! Looks divine! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great way to use that mango! That sure looks like a pretty plate of spring time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That mango salsa was fantastic! Just the right amount of sweet and heat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love mango salsa and am going to prep this recipe of yours next time I use it! I've been behind in reading my favorite blogs so I'm going to do a long run-thru of your posts Larry!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments